ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
B
Recently I purchased some Lutron Maestro dimmers. When I went back to get more I mentioned to the sales person I was putting in Halo low voltage recessed cans. When she heard that, she told me I needed to purchase the Maestro dimmer not for incandescent but for magnetic transformers. She informed me if I did not the transformer would eventually burn out.

My question is to find out if she is right about this and also learn more about the technicals of why a different kind of dimmer is required for low voltage lighting.

Many thanks in advance,
Byron

S
I am not an engineer so I can't tell you why, but Low voltage needs a lo-vo dimmer.
Magnetic transformer needs a magnetic dimmer.
Electronic needs an electronic dimmer.

There are exceptions though. Some lo-vo lights require a standard dimmer. The instructions will tell you what is required, no way I'd rely on a sales person.

Speedy Petey

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
... From what I understand,fixtures that require electronic x-formers are those where size is an issue..You can get an electronic ballast to fit in smaller places,although the load/watts are generally alot less than it's cousin,the big,ol' clunky magnetic ballast/transformer which is not much more than an iron core with copper windings and a capacitor or two.. Being electronic,utilizes choke coils,and other small semi-conductor parts,thusly requiring the use of an electronic type dimmer control.Failure to do so can result in either x-former failure,or pre-mature dimmer burn-out.I believe hertz(frequency) has something to do with that here..I usually check with the manufacturer,or my rep at the lighting supply house I go to.. Good Luck!!
Russ

[This message has been edited by Attic Rat (edited 01-28-2005).]

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
E
e57 Offline

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
... Thanx e57,... extremely useful stuff there!! I be printing it tonite!! [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Russ

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
E
e57 Offline
Here have some more!

I give these (and other interesting things)out during the rare dull moments on site, to those interested.
http://www.lutron.com/applicationnotes/

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Cat Servant
There are a number of approaches to dimming a light bulb.
Simply reducing the voltage works well if you're talking about a standard light bulb.
For motors, the speed is sometimes adjusted by electronically blocking part of the 'pulse' from the AC supply.
For fluorescent lights, dimming is accomplished (in part) by changing the frequency of the AC to the bulbs.

In other words, how you "dim" something depends very much on just what that "something" is. That is why it is essential to match dimmers with the appliances.

Link Copied to Clipboard