ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 293 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#47560 01/18/05 06:42 PM
D
derater Offline OP
What the consensus when you run into nasty wiring? Told h/o today that the existing cicuit connected to my work,shouldn't work
(it's a gnd/nuet. fubar).Twist his arm to get it right?;or something legal to shield me?

#47561 01/18/05 07:33 PM
P
How is the existing circuit connected to your work if you didn't do it?

Maybe more information would help.

Sam, San Francisco Bay Area
#47562 01/18/05 08:26 PM
D
derater Offline OP
I made a new ceiling light in l/r,box, circuit etc.,powered out of jb marked l/r 3-way.Check power to switch,OK:turn it on,no light.Tic tracer showed hot at fixture; in course of checking noodle back,found 1 in jb nutted to bundle of bare grounds;take it off,
nut it to 'my' white,still nothing;put both whites on the grounds;it works.At THIS point I explained the 'fubar' to the h/o;I'll have to take the boxes apart in the attic space,etc.,i.e more money, and his reply was to "leave it , it works." Some now deceased family member had wired the attic.

#47563 01/18/05 08:44 PM
P
Yukk. If it were me I wouldn't involve myself in the existing mess.

I might go as far as using existing wiring and boxes in order to avoid breaking walls. But if there are other cables in, say, a switch box, that don't make sense I wouldn't do that either.

If something gets goofed up in there you'll likely never find it.

Iwire will probably be here any minute to point out legal stuff.

Sam, San Francisco Bay Area
#47564 01/18/05 09:26 PM
H
Derater,

When I was in business, if I found a small "fubar" I would tell the homeowner and then I might just fix it myself and tell them "No Charge". It was good for the business. However if there was something real bad, I would tell the homeowner and make them aware of the problem, ask them if the wanted me to fix it or give them a quote to fix it. I would fix it unless they told me too. ( Or get a change order.) If they didn't want me to fix it and just wanted a bill for what I did, then on my bill I would write down what I saw wrong. For example: we added 3 receptacles for $55.00 a piece and while on the job we saw that the sub panel was in violation of the NEC. If you would like a quote from our company, please let us know and we will submit a price to repair the problem.
I figure that if the person saw my bill and paid me, then they would have read my note about the violation in their house.

Link Copied to Clipboard