ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 428 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
Any incandescent dimmer will state "For permanently installed incandescent lighting loads only" or some such thing. You should be using the correct dimmer for the application. Chimo is this for your own house? If not why do you care what it costs? Doesn't the customer pay for the material?

H
Chimo, I had a similar experience a couple of months ago with electronic dimmers so I called tech support at Lutron. I was told that electronic dimmers cut off the top and bottom on the sign wave and dim the transformer without hurting it. I was also told an incandescent dimmer would work fin for about 3 months and then one day the transformer would just quit. So I opted fpr the $110 low voltage dimmer for my customers LV undercabinet lights.

C
Chimo, if the manufacture of the transformers recommends using electronic low voltage transformers then that’s what you should use. Most of the electronic transformers I have used specify that they are dimmable with standard incandescent dimmers so that’s what I use and have never had a problem.

Curt

Curt Swartz
E
Curt, the transformer may say it is ok to use a standard dimmer but I am sure the dimmer says otherwise.

C
Scott,

I only install a few electronic transformers each year but know in the past Lutron has told me that it is ok to use standard incandescent dimmers with electronic transformers but might not get satisfactory performance with some transformers. So far I haven’t had any problems so can’t justify the price difference.

A lighting store near me built a new showroom about 2 years ago and installed quite a bit of lighting connected to electronic low voltage transformers. Lightolier supplied them with standard incandescent dimmers for these transformers and so far they haven’t had any problems.

I don’t think there is any safety issue here only a performance issue or the dimmer and low voltage transformer manufactures would include warnings with the products.

Curt

Curt Swartz
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard