ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#47344 01/14/05 06:09 AM
S
My helper started useing a Sony Walkmen portable CD music player with the earpiece.I'm not sure whether to allow this or not yet.It could be a safty issue if he is not concentrating on the task he is doing.
He also forgot to label a panel for a central air conditioning job we did recently and I wonder if it was related to the tunes in his ear.
I like rock & roll, but, I myself can't concentrate with music blaring in the background.

Would you pull the plug?

shortcircuit

#47345 01/14/05 06:59 AM
Z
I would pull the plug. If he does not like it, bfd, than take it to the boss.

Shoot first, apologize later.....maybe
#47346 01/14/05 10:40 AM
R
Please don't quote me on this, but I think that is a violation of OSHA reg's. At least, that is what I have been told.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
#47347 01/14/05 11:27 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Will admit that it is a personal pet peeve of mine. Years ago I had an apprentice working on a ladder in a drop ceiling. Only one tile was open and he was "dancing" around on the ladder. I asked if he was OK and there was no response. I thought he was being electrocuted so I kicked the ladder out from under him...... He had ear phones on and the music turned up so loud he could not hear anything else........ From that day on I have never allowed them on my jobs.

#47348 01/14/05 05:05 PM
J
I would say no too. It is only an accident waiting to happen, not only from the mental distraction of having noise in your ears, but the inability to hear what is going on around you. Don't minimize how dependent we are on ALL of our senses to be aware of what is going on around us.

Plus all the times I've dropped something unknowingly, and the only reason I realize before I'm gone is because I heard it.

It's always safer to work in pairs. If someone needs help whether out of danger or convenience, this will interfere. I can think of many, many reasons this is a bad idea. The only benefit of it is for your helpers morale, but he'll have to get over it.

#47349 01/14/05 06:51 PM
P
If someone needs help whether out of danger or convenience, this will interfere
Keep in mind as well that it might be you calling out for urgent help to him.

I like to have music while I'm working, but it's far better to just have a portable radio/player with speakers.

#47350 01/14/05 07:15 PM
L
LK Offline
Rock and Roll, yourself out of work, a few years back, we had a strange call, can you come and finish a job, I was ready to explain, that we do not like take over jobs,
when the customer said, the work this guy is doing is fine, but we can't stand to hear the loud music, we asked him not to play it but he just ignored us, then when we called the owner, he told us all his guys play music on the job, and i was just giving his men trouble, and he hung up on me, so please, i don't care about the cost, just come over and look, please, please.

So not everyone likes to Rock and Roll.

Link Copied to Clipboard