ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#47315 01/18/05 07:47 PM
Z
O.K., Now that some of you have knocked me down, kicked me, and now taking a dump on me, its now starting to get personal.
So I really don't care now if I get banded from this site. I take my work and trade seriously.
Maybe some of you should read e57 post again.
Yes, scott, the helper is running the job.

Shoot first, apologize later.....maybe
#47316 01/18/05 08:14 PM
D
We must have different definitions of "helper".

A journeyman has completed training, an apprentice is in training, and a helper isn't in training. AKA...a gofer or laborer. There may be a GC, supervisor, or foreman over the journeyman, but not a helper.

Now, what do you call a helper?

Dave

#47317 01/18/05 08:40 PM
E
I'm not looking to knock you down, you came here with the question but you don't like the answers. That's your choice. To me a helper is an apprentice. I would not have a helper running a job and in my state the owner of the company would get in some trouble for allowing it to happen. And I think you mean "Banned" from the site.

#47318 01/18/05 08:51 PM
I'm not trying to knock you down.
You've done nothing that anyone would want to ban you from the site for.
You take your trade seriously, OK, but all you seem to be looking for is sympathy here, not a resolution to a problem.

If you think the rest of us don't understand, you're wrong. Do you really think that nobody's ever asked me to do something wrong in the last 34 yrs? It happens constantly still. I say no.

I don't suggest that you immediately quit your job, but you certainly should look hard for another, and start right now. You'll get just more of the same if you stay where you are, and yes, it bothers you, which shows that you do care and don't belong there.

The "license" part of this thread may not apply at all. Construction Contractors are not required to have a State license in PA unless they do Public Works. Some local jurisdictions do have licensing requirements. The boss probably has no license to lose.

Please try to do the right thing [Linked Image]

e57, have you ever had any employees?

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 01-18-2005).]

#47319 01/18/05 09:18 PM
E
e57 Offline
Now there are huge differances in License and Training Laws in all states, and vary so widely that it can be night and day.

Now, from what I remember... I entered the Trade in the Military, after I left MA. (Cambridge) Is that Apprentices were not to be left unattended, with only one Apprentice per Journeyman. (A State, Union, or both - Law) Or something to that effect?

Also, not sure... Is Illinois the same? Also no idea about PA?

That said, in California, I can leave any smuck off the street on the job all day long. (Not that I would, but an extreme example.) I can leave him there to run the job, for months alone.(Not that I would, but an even more extreme example.) The job doent pass inspection, my butt! The guy gets hurt, my butt! The house burns down, MY BUTT! 'Cause it's MY LICENSE!

Would I, or any right minded person do something like that? No! But it is legal. (For now, the laws are about change about that here.) Like I said, I don't know the laws in those states above. In PA, it may be legal?

That said, I think this thread has gone too far. And some of us should take a step back.

Bagging on a spelling era, thats just cheap, what's next puncuation?

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#47320 01/18/05 09:23 PM
Z
1)A helper is slang for apprentice in a non union environment.
2) I cannot change anything until I am told to do so, right or wrong.

#47321 01/18/05 09:25 PM
E
e57 Offline
Sorry electure, you posted while I was ranting above.

Employees? 2 For a short time until I realized I couldn't pay them, now it back to work for someone else for me too, until I get up REAL capital.

That said, I check the work done by all under me, (My company or the one I work for.) and not much slides by me.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#47322 01/18/05 09:28 PM
Z
Just when I think I am done, Someone pulls me back in!

#47323 01/18/05 09:29 PM
R
I have been watching this thread and think there are many good reply's.

Zapped, if you go back and read your first few posts in an unbiased view, you'll have to agree that you led everyone to believe you installed the box.

I could be wrong, but it seems as though you were looking for some support that you haven't received.

As Electure said,
You take your trade seriously, OK, but the only post you are taking seriously is the sympathetic one, and not the ones with suggestions to help resolve the problem.
you must also weigh the ones that may actually be constructive but painfull, kind of like taking bitter medicine.

There are a number of problems here, (not all inclusive) i.e.

#1 You knowing it is wrong
#2 A helper running the job
#3 Changing the installation after the inspector has left
#4 Not flat out telling the owner, helper, and boss, that this is a violation, period.
#5 Not letting the inspector be an ally, even if it took a phone call from yourself.
#6 And not thinking you would get this type of reaction from the members here.

Roger

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 01-18-2005).]

#47324 01/18/05 09:55 PM
Z
Yes, Roger looks like your right about me leading people thinking I installed the box........ I did not, helper did, after the boss said to do it, fully knowing it is a violation. The HO knows also it is a violation but did not seem to care one way or the other, he just wants to watch tv in the tub.
2) boss gave job to hepler.
3) I am not calling the inspector behind bosses back.
4)Yes, It is very wrong.
5) Some members were down right rude.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard