ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
N
nov Offline OP
I have a 200 amp main breaker panel and I am installing a 200 amp auto transfer switch. The SEU cable comes out of the panel and feeds into the transfer switch first the to the main panel. My question is if the transfer switch is hit first does that make the main panel a sub panel. Basically should I treat the transfer switch the same as a service disconnect. If it is a sub I would have to seperate the grounds and the neutrals and feed the main panel with SER cable.

I
Yes the ATS will now be the main and the neutrals and grounds at the old panel will need to be isolated.

Question for you, is this a "Service Rated" transfer switch?

It must be in order to install it as you describe.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
N
nov Offline OP
I believe it is service rated it is a generac 200 amp transfer switch model 06435
http://www.guardiangenerators.com/support/guardian_transfer_switch.asp

I
I am not sure that what you linked to is service rated.

I would expect to see accessible disconnect switches to kill the power, it looks like you need a screw driver to open them.

The page mentions UL 1008 Listed which is just a transfer switch listing not necessarily a "Service Rated" transfer switch.

Before purchasing this switch you want to be sure.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
C
I don’t believe the transfer switch you are proposing to use is rated for use as service entrance equipment. It does not have provisions for a bonding jumper and doesn’t have a means to disconnect the control conductors going to the generator. If you use this switch you should install a service disconnect before the switch. The other model that Generac has listed on that page (Service Disconnect Transfer Switch) might be listed for service equipment but I’m not sure. The Generac reps I have talked to don’t recommend using that transfer switch since the only way to access the service disconnect is to un-bolt and remove the front cover. Apparently many of the users that have used this switch have had inspectors reject the installation.

Curt

Curt Swartz

Link Copied to Clipboard