ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Is anyone out there aware of any knob and tube suppliers? I'm looking for tubes, knobs, as well as loom.

N
Whats goin on? Reminiscing? What use would you have for that? Remove all of that stuff. No inspector would allow you to extend it anyway. If you really need it try a museum. lol
Ron

E
e57 Offline
If your near the Bay Area, SF or San Mateo go to Bayshore Supply.

Often need them for re-supporting / re-feeding existing K&T in most resi around here.

We'll often save the ones we demo in remodels and re-use them if needed.

Loom is more available, but some places have stopped carrying it too.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
I
Norstarr

No inspector would allow you to extend it anyway.

Unless there is a local amendment the inspector does not get a choice. The NEC allows extending existing K&T.

II. Installation
394.10 Uses Permitted.
Concealed knob-and-tube wiring shall be permitted to be installed in the hollow spaces of walls and ceilings or in unfinished attics and roof spaces as provided in 394.23 only as follows:

(1)For extensions of existing installations

(2)Elsewhere by special permission

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
L
LK Offline
Bob,

We do repairs on K&T, and no problem with inspector.

Slightly off-topic, but I came across the following a couple months ago, does it effectively mean that the parts won't be manufactured anymore?
http://ulstandardsinfonet.ul.com/sot/b0511_6_20040331_sum.html

Bill

Bill
J
My UL books are from 2002. There are no manufacturers listed for these parts. I can only guess that nobody makes the stuff anymore, and anthing you find will be used.

C
I agree that for the most part, extending K&T should be avoided. In this case it must be terminated and the attic is not accessible, so my only choice is to extend it to the point where it is brought to the laundry room where no one gives a darn if a blanked off box is sitting near the edge of the ceiling. Trust me, all my feeds will be brought off a subpanel in modern day romex. It turns out that I did pull some K&T from a job that I demoed yesterday. The inspector gave me the okay to use these parts.

W
I remember the rosette I think it was called. It was allowed to use as an extension adaptor from the old B/X to the even older K & T

W
Can you run a third wire for use as the grounding (green) conductor in K&T? But if you could run the third wire all the way back to the panel you might as well use romex cable...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard