ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#46589 01/02/05 09:22 AM
Chester,
I've gota bit of a dumb question, at least in the eyes of some of you pros - but remember that I am only a student.
As you will learn here, if you only read the various things that have been posted at ECN here, you will see seemingly dumb questions posted, but from the HUGE collective knowledge we have here, everyone benefits.
The day you stop learning from this site, is the day you should leave, that's why we are all still here. [Linked Image]
One thing that I should say about measuring current in a given circuit, though, is the practice of Electronics Technicians "cutting tracks" on a PC Board to measure the current at certain point on the board.
The key to this (as our Electronics Tech's will agree) is having a good idea of what sized current is flowing in that part of the circuit, under normal conditions, and also the polarity of the current, if it is DC.
Ammeters don't take too kindly to being overloaded, especially in the wrong direction. [Linked Image]

{Message edited to add last bit}

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 01-02-2005).]

#46590 01/02/05 11:17 AM
Chester,

With a commonly available accessory like the one below something can be plugged in and readings can be taken on each leg separately with a choice of 1x or 10x depending on the position chosen. I believe this one (and others) also have access points where you can check the voltage under load conditions.

[Linked Image]

Bill

Bill
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard