ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
SvenNYC Offline OP
When I was younger, I saw surface-mount porcelain receptacles like these being sold in local hardware stores here in New York.

[Linked Image from ciles.net]

The one I have is made in the U.S.A. by the old Eagle Electric Mfg. (now Cooper Wiring Devices).

Another one I have lying about is imported from People's Rep. of China.

It can accomodate a roun-pin plug (4-mm pins) like the ones used in Europe or a standard flat-pin plug.

Were round-pin plugs ever used in the USA, or is this just a universal type socket that can be sold in any part of the world?

The hardware store owner said they were called "barn receptacles". Anyone else ever seen these?

S
To me, it looks like the round "pin holes" are actually rivets to hold the two halves together. Did you check for continuity between terminal screws and those holes?

(Edited: )
As for the "Barn Receptacle" part, perhaps it's called that becasue its surface mount, i.e. it wouldn't be used in a finished area?

[This message has been edited by sparked (edited 12-26-2004).]

B

One vague equivalent may have been a “roaster-cord” 2-wire connector mating to round male pins on kitchen-countertop cooking appliances — top of page at www.cooperwiringdevices.com/catalog/PDF/SECTION_U/U_6_CWD_Cord_Sets.pdf ISTR there may have been two {or possibly three} different pin spacings. By then, ‘space-age Bakelite’ versions upstaged porcelain.

H
I remember those in bakelite. I too think those holes are just rivets to hold the thing together.

-Hal

S
SvenNYC Offline OP
Yes, there is continuity between the terminals and those holes.

The round holes indeed show rivets that hold the contacts to the porcelain body.

It's still kind of amazing that I can use these receptacles with either American or European type plugs.

B

It may be a smaller planet than we realize. Remember Hutch’s 9/04 Siberian adventure?

[Linked Image from home.comcast.net]

Discussion: https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000689.html

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 12-26-2004).]

Link Copied to Clipboard