ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 205 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#46543 12/26/04 11:02 AM
P
pauluk Offline OP
TV repair rather than electrical service, but I think you'll all find some amusing stories here nevertheless, and a few which could just as easily have happened with wiring work: [Linked Image]

http://www.e-repair.co.uk/lighter_side.htm

Some years ago I worked for a company that repaired Radios and TV's we had a call that the coin box on this ladies tv had stopped working.

On arrival at the house we examined the tv a 12inch floor model and could not find a coin box. The lady of the house explained that she put a shilling in the slot at the back and the tv worked, on a demonstration we discovered she had been using one of the vent holes in the back board that sloped away before dropping vertically to the floor.

On removal of the back board we discovered how the system worked the fuse had blown and on dropping a shilling through the slot it had bridged out the fuse until the vibration from the mains powered speaker dropped the coin into the lower speaker cavity. The reason that it stopped working was because the fuse holder blades had burnt off !!

We replaced these and supplied a new fuse and also returned the £50 in shillings (to the new sparks around 20 shillings to the pound) old money

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 12-26-2004).]

#46544 12/26/04 03:56 PM
Paul:
A while back, had this scenario:

Service call, partial power out in a home.
Found one 20 amp branch cb triped
HO said "I tried to reset it a few times, but it keeps tripping"

Went thru the affected areas of the house looking for the obvious.....

Checked a bedroom wall, and pulled the bed away from the wall....
Found a quarter (25 cent coin) had dropped from the bed, and bridged the hot/neutral pins on a lamp that was plugged into the receptacle and partially hanging out.

Turns out the boy was counting coins, dropped one, and that's what caused the problem.

Luckily, the arcing didn't set the bed covers afire....he said he tried to reset it numerous times!!

Happy holidays

John

John

Link Copied to Clipboard