ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, gfretwell), 276 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#46405 12/21/04 11:43 PM
P
pauluk Offline OP
Seems there might be a few things to criticize here:
http://www.dulley.com/diy/dw107.htm

S
Don't ya just love it?

E
The National Electrical Code now requires No. 12 gauge wire for all residential electrical wiring.
Huh? [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

John
C
The National Electrical Code now requires No. 12 gauge wire for all residential electrical wiring.

wow, it good i read that link. i had origionally thought that the wire size is dependant on the breaker size. now i am more educated and know that the NEC requires No. 12 on all circuits. today i ripped out the 8 gauge going to my stove and the 10 gauge going to my dryer and replaced them with 12 gauge. tomorrow im going to go buy some more 12 gauge to replace that dangerously oversized feeder going to the 100 amp subpanel in my garage

[Linked Image]

S
Outdoor wiring projects are not difficult for a do-it-yourselfer, but, for safety reasons, outdoor wiring codes must be followed.
I was unaware of the NEC Outdoor Code- it would make much more sense to incorporate it in the standard NEC [Linked Image]

No mention of load evaluation in the circuit to be extended, either- Grrrr!!!!!!

No wire bias here- I'm standing on neutral ground.
E
Dig the trench. If you are using EMT conduit or UF cable, the trench should be 12 inches deep. Rigid metal or plastic conduit requires a 6-inch depth

This must be the question I missed on my license exam. I thought that in most circumstances UF needed to 24" deep in a yard unless covered with 2" of concrete. I didn't even know you could bury EMT and I thought rigid needed to be 18". I guess you learn something every day.

S
RMC only needs 6" except underneath things like driveways, parking areas (that's "car parks" to you, Paul [Linked Image] ), and runways.

S
How deep should the trench be to bury the rotten advice of some of those DYI (Do-Yourself-In) websites??? I won't mention the six-foot rule for the webmasters of those sites hehehe...

No wire bias here- I'm standing on neutral ground.
P
pauluk Offline OP
Aw, shoot! You mean I shouldn't rely on that site as an educatiuonal resource for American outdoor wiring practices? [Linked Image]

The #12 for all circuits is the first thing that caught my attention there.

The author's e-mail info is:

contact@dulley.com

To publish irresponsible information like this while posing as an "expert"?.

Eagle [Linked Image]
I didn't even know you could bury EMT

[Linked Image]

This was actually inside a building where the penetration went outside. The rest was indistinguishable as conduit.

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 12-24-2004).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard