ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 271 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#46261 12/17/04 06:31 PM
P
pb0094 Offline OP
I'm a layman (but not a DIYer) looking for guidance. We've been renting for over a year a modular house in the rural badlands of Arizona that was installed in 2000 in accordance with the National Electric Code per county inspectors. During this year we have had trouble with many blown light bulbs and many computer components that die sudden premature deaths. Recently the utility company came out, took a look and decided that something on the box outside was set too high at 251. They turned it down to 239, but then the main breaker would trip as soon as the electric furnace would come on. So they came back and turned it up to 244. The main breaker still trips when the furnace runs, but not immediately - it stays on for a while and doesn't trip until the panel starts to smell of electrical burn. It looks to me like an electrician is called for, but I need to be able to convince the elderly absentee landlord. Anyone out there willing to advise?

Thanks in advance for your help.

#46262 12/17/04 07:50 PM
You absolutely need a qualified electrician to diagnose and repair whatever the problem is in person, not over the Internet.

None of us here could, or would diagnose it without being there in person.

A reasonable enough justification to the landlord is that you smell the burning. They shouldn't be too keen on the idea of their 5 yr old building burning down with their tenants inside.

(I can recommend someone if you're near Flagstaff. email me if you'd like)

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 12-17-2004).]

#46263 12/18/04 07:42 AM
Also, I'd like to add that this is something that should have IMMEDIATE ATTENTION.

A burning smell is indicative of something very wrong. Please get it taken care of for your own safety and that of your family.

#46264 12/18/04 08:03 AM
I
Please listen to electure's advice, he is a well respected and knowlegable member here.

Do it today, now, immediately!

None of the problems you describe should be happening and a burning smell is never good unless you are a fan of the Grateful Dead.

If you can not convince your landlord to do something get the fire department involved.

I find these guys are quite helpful, call them on the business number and ask to speak to a chief. Explain what is going on, most times they will be more than willing to help.

Another person to call is your electrical inspector, or call the power company back and explain it to them.

It is up to you how to proceed but please do something today!

Bob

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 12-18-2004).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#46265 12/18/04 05:53 PM
Z
If your landlord is unresponsive find a tenent's rights orginization to find out what your options are. You may be able to hire a qualified electrical contractor and deduct it from your rent. Please don't delay, a burning smell could mean arcing and sparking.

#46266 12/21/04 05:33 PM
B
Sounds like you should be looking for a new landlord. It's pretty clear that he is in it for the quick buck not keeping a tenent for long. Of coarse he may not have this house for much longer from the way it sounds.

Link Copied to Clipboard