ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4610 10/05/01 08:26 PM
Are electricians required to be licensed in the State of Pennsysvania? I was told that there are a few cities in Pennsylvaiia, like Philly that have licensing requirements. Are there other cities or can anyone do electrical work?

Does any one know how to search the records for those who have been caught without electrical permits on jobs?

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 10-06-2001).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
#4611 10/05/01 09:31 PM
Yes, I know how to check.
I checked something quite similar to what you describe a few months ago.

#4612 10/05/01 09:37 PM
R
PA has no state licensing. Phila. has a 4 hour NEC-based exam with some theory. The test was administered (in 1990) by the National Assessment Institute, which, for some reason, I believe is now Experior( I could be wrong on that). The suburbs have, for the most part, no testing. That's right, pay the fee, pencil-whip the form, and you, joe-shmoe, are a licensed Electrical Contractor.

#4613 10/05/01 09:38 PM
Joe,

Yes, Ive seen the Mass site that you talk about, We (ECN ) are even linked there (under Links).
A great resource for your state's residents.

>> visit site

Bill
#4614 10/05/01 09:43 PM
Redsy,

Is it required to file at all?
Do they have Proof of Insurance requirements?

Bill
#4615 10/05/01 10:17 PM
Bill:

Thanks for the direct link!

Here is a story I found there that should put a scare in anyone who is not properly licensed, qualified, or without a permit!

http://www.state.ma.us/reg/Consumer/press2001/el082001.htm

Redsy:

Thanks for that information!

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
#4616 10/06/01 06:33 AM
F
Joe,

Pittsburgh Pennslyvania has licensing requirements.

Frank

#4617 10/06/01 06:40 AM
S
Some good points here; http://www.iaei.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=nec&action=display&num=994556892

We are aware of the overall problem , so let me throw this out here....what would you consider a solution??
[Linked Image]

#4618 10/06/01 09:20 AM
B
Originally posted by Joe Tedesco:
1. What Qualifies a Repairman in the US?

2. What Qualifies a Maintenance Man in the US?

3. What Qualifies an Electrician in the US?

Are electricians required to be licensed in the State of Pennsysvania? I was told that there are a few cities in Pennsylvaiia, like Philly that have licensing requirements. Are there other cities or can anyone do electrical work?

Does any one know how to search the records for those who have been caught without electrical permits on jobs?

Here in Massachusetts it is easy to find out!

Shame on you .........!!!!

PS: Orange is a color required for one of the phases of an Isolated Power System!

Ohio has been certifying electricians, once you get your State Certificate, you were allowed to work in the state as an electrician. This was suppose to take care of the ' illegal ' problem. But who was to enforce the law the Inspectors, that was highly unlikely, especially in my county, we have 3 licensed Inspectors and they are generally busier than a ' One-Armed paper hanger, so when are they supposed to be checking for Illegals. All the illegal needed was to have the home-owner pull the permit and as long as that person is the legitamate owner he/she can pull the permit.I have talked to the inspectors and they tell me that when an 80 year old woman comes in to pull a permit for a Service-Revamp, they know for sure that some illegal is going to be doing the work, so what can they do, reapportion their time to be out hunting down Illegals ? We as legal contractors are supposed to report any illegals, but here is the catch 22, the inspector has to catch them in the act of doing the service, once it is done and the home-owner calls for inspection, all the inspector can do at this point is ' gig ' the job, but it had better be a ligitimate ' gig', otherwise they are lible.
Anyways recently the State of Ohio has passed a new law that anyone that was State certified after September 21, 2001, that certificate will automatically become a State License, and after all this time for people to become state ccertified, the illegals are still given another chance to be grandfathered in to the state licensing program as they were 8 years ago to become state certified.
Now with the new State License, whereas before, with only a state ccertificate, we had to get a license in any county that we wanted to work, plus bonding and insurance, or any City as defined as a City, townships are governed by the county.
To obtain a ccertificate or now Liccense in the state of Ohio, you must pass a rigorous 8 hour test, on the Code, Ohsa, business, and electrical math. I suppose it could be tougher but the repeat rate is very high meaning that it has achieved a purpose, but regardless the illegals are still out there. I have found that 'laid-off' Ohio Edison lineman are notorious for selling their services as legitimate Electrical Contractors, but with little enforcement, or a law with no teeth it will be something we will have to put up with until someone builds a better mouse trap.
as defined as such.

#4619 10/06/01 11:20 AM
R
Originally posted by Bill Addiss:
Redsy,

Is it required to file at all?
Do they have Proof of Insurance requirements?

Yes, a certificate of insurance is required. so, after the fire, if anyone survives, they can collect.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard