ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4640 10/09/01 04:58 AM
T
Redsy yes the bill is about state licensing you can read it on the web at the Pa general assembly site it's HB245

#4641 10/09/01 05:51 AM
S
The NAI ( national assessment institute) proctors J & M electrical tests for 1/2 dozen states on the east coast. Imagine if it were the same nationally, we could feed the fam anywhere.

#4642 10/10/01 09:21 AM
N
Bill
I have personally taken and passed two test that had a practical part of the tests. State of Wyoming and the old New Mexico both required a test taker to bend conduit wire ud a transformer, wire up a door bell circuit from two different points, wire up a motor contactor control, and 3 way and 4 way switches in a lighting circuit.
No other state or the experior test had anthing but a written exam in my experience.
I have master and or journeyman license in Nebraska, Council Bluffs Ia. and South Dakota active. I have had licenses in Wyoming, New Mexico, Colorado, and mississippi,- since let those lapse because I do not work there anymore.
For all of those licenses and tests I had to show a least 4 years experience before I could take the test. Those Licenses show that I can pass code tests. They show that I am supposed to correctly know what I am doing. The do not guarentee that any work done will be 100% correct. Only I can do that. I have known some who have also passed these tests been licensed and donot give a damn. Thier work speaks for it self.
Most of the electricians who go to the trouble of getting licensed and staying current do good work.

ed
#4643 10/10/01 05:15 PM
S
nesparky;
i would be 'pro-practical' testing , at least in the respect of some pipework i've seen [Linked Image]

bring it on!

#4644 10/12/01 11:54 AM
E
NeSparky,

I totally agree that the quality of the work is directly tied to the integrity of the individual responsible for doing the work.

Minnesota has a "State Board of Electricity" that tests and keeps after licensing, bonding and insurance. By State law, no additional licenses, bond or insurance are allowed at the local level (city, county, municipality). Trade license (journeyman & master) renew every two years and contractor license renew on alternate years. The contractor license is simply bought but proof of a master's license tied to that contractor must be supplied each renewal.

Journeyman and master must take 16 hours of continuing education from a State Board of Electricity certified educator in order to renew every two years. A minimum of 12 of the 16 hours must be on the NEC each renewal.

Inspection is performed by State inspectors in areas (mostly rural) that do not provide local inspectors (mostly cities).

State law requires signage on the work vehicle, and you can't park at the job in a manner that hides the truck.

Homeowners of single family dwellings are allowed to pull their own permits with no proof of ability, however the inspector, after seeing the work can tell them to get a pro if it seems they don't have a clue, which means another permit that is from an outfit on the list of "the approved" at the State Board of Elec.

I've seen handyman services that started with a list of abilities printed on the side of their truck where the list developes blank spaces as they get nailed for advertising plumbing, electrical, etc.

The State Board of E. includes in their newsletters the names, addresses, charges and judgements of those nailed since the last issue.

With all of this buearacracy, which I think does a darn good job of leveling the playing field and simplifies my day to day going from area to area, there is still a healthy supply of crappy work that I get to fix. I think of it as job security.

Al

Al Hildenbrand
#4645 10/12/01 03:15 PM
NeSparky,

Thanks for responding to my question on the practical. I didn't know how common it is to have a practical examination, because some areas only have a written exam and some, it seems, have nothing at all. Although it's not necessarily a true test of ones' knowledge, or ability I think that testing

does help to weed out some of the worst cases.

ElectricAl,
Welcome aboard!, It sounds like Minnesota is doing what it can. It's refreshing to hear that someone is making a positive comment on their situation as an Electrical Contractor!

Bill

Bill
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard