ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#46044 12/11/04 09:16 AM
I
A 100% cotton shirt is a good choice, no synthetic blends. [Linked Image]

We get shirts, hats, sweatshirts, once in a while jackets.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#46045 12/11/04 10:02 AM
S
Bob, 100% is the way to go. I try real hard to stay away from blends, mostyly because I hate them.

Speedy Petey

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
#46046 12/11/04 11:26 AM
E
I put our logo on everything. We give T-shirts and sweatshirts to our employees and expect them to wear something with a logo everyday. The sweatshirts are embroidered and look really nice. Everybody wants one, so I keep several in my truck and give one to any good customer or contractor who wants one. They cost about $15 and that's cheap advertising if you look at how long that shirt will last. They can't put it on without thinking of my company.

#46047 12/11/04 11:55 AM
C
Ron is correct, Category 0 is the minimum you want to wear. Even with Arc Flash Jackets on you should wear 100% cotton under the jacket.
If you ever visit a burn center, you would not want to wear a mixed blend of cotton and polyester again. The burnt cotton part of the clothing comes off much easier than the polyester. Polyester melts into the burn area and is scrubbed off. Not a very pleasant treatment.
Sorry for the graphics of this post, but I feel guys need to be aware of the results caused by wearing less than Category 0 clothing.

Al

#46048 12/11/04 02:14 PM
B
I love getting something with a name on it if I've gotten a good deal or decent service as I can then extole the virtues of the proprietor further if asked.

I have a slight 'caution' to offer though from the perspective of the employee: don't mistake the gift or the offer of the clothing as a replacement for compensation or merit bonuses. Pretty soon the employee may wonder if they're seeing their work or income as being devalued to the same value of a t-shirt or ball cap. We used to laugh that we were both the service company, a clothing retailer and billboards when many of our 'peak performer' type of awards came in the form of apparel with the company name on it.

#46049 12/11/04 02:24 PM
I agree with Bugaboo, don't let company hats, t-shirts, etc. take the place of EARNED compensation or raises. Otherwise your employees might want to get their own t-shirts made:

"I work for XYZ Electric and all I got was this lousy T-shirt." [Linked Image]

As soon as I settle on the right design, I'm having tees and hats made for my company (TPA TransCom Theatre Services).

At least no one has suggested working in kilts! [Linked Image] IIRC there is a contracting co. where the men wear kilts!

Stupid should be painful.
#46050 12/11/04 02:33 PM
I
At least no one has suggested working in kilts! IIRC there is a contracting co. where the men wear kilts!

I doubt many companies want there name on kilts. [Linked Image]

[Linked Image from secure.utilikilts.com]

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 12-11-2004).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#46051 12/11/04 03:07 PM
Bending pipe, pulling wire, etc. on unenergized new construction doesn't require the use of PPE, does it? [Linked Image]

It's great advertising!!

Shirts might not be such a hot idea until a secure employer/employee relationship is established.

Imagine sitting down to dinner to see that new hire on TV News being arrested with your name and logo emblazened across his back. [Linked Image]

(I started for a company that gave out shirts to 1st day employees. After about a week or so a car pulled up while I was working, and a really irate stranger got out screaming at me about my working fora ripoff company. After about a week more, I realized he was very right, and I quit.
The Tshirts still saw use though. Near new, they were passed out in Los Angeles on Skid Row to some winos that would advertise the company without shame, but still in a more favorable light than it deserved.) [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 12-11-2004).]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard