ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#45768 12/06/04 11:39 PM
Long Story Short...

Can RG-6 Datacom Cable be spliced with a couple of F-type Connectors and a Coupler without much (i.e. noticeable to the consumer) loss in dB?

I drilled right through the longest RG-6 run I have in this small office I'm wiring. I've run a pair of 4-pair CAT-5 cables in Star configuration to each of two boxes in each office room, plus an RG-6 to one of the boxes in each room in case they need it. The RG-6s probabaly won't even be used, but if they are, I don't want some datacom guy thinking I'm a dummy for splicing it...

Replace or splice or ???

Thanks guys...

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#45769 12/06/04 11:43 PM
J
I see no problem at all splicing it, you can use F connectors or BNC's and a barrel, whatever you happen to have. The DB loss in a proper termination is minimal. Just tape over it to avoid and chance of a ground loop if the splice hit anything else in the ceiling.

#45770 12/07/04 01:52 AM
S
With the number of F connections that go bad over time, I'd say that it would be kind of you to replace it.

#45771 12/07/04 06:58 AM
Z
sparky66,- could you pull the cable back to another box and splice it there?, or is it a dropped ceiling,and you can splice it in the ceiling?
How long is the run?
I would run a new home run if it was me cause I would not have any couplings.
Then you don't have to worry about the splice going bad.

Shoot first, apologize later.....maybe
#45772 12/07/04 02:21 PM
H
Never heard of RG-6 datacom cable. That for those new computers with the TV built in? [Linked Image]

As with any other wiring splices must be in an accessable location. These do go bad and there is nothing worse than trying to find a splice buried in a wall or ceiling. You need to either do what you have to do to splice it where you can get at it later or rerun it.

-Hal

[This message has been edited by hbiss (edited 12-07-2004).]

#45773 12/08/04 06:56 AM
P
I'd go with Hal.

If you can route the ends to a point where you can make an accessible splice, then fine, otherwise I'd be happier rerunning as much cable as necessary.

I've come across too many hidden and buried splices in coax, phone cable, etc. to like the idea of having an inaccessible connection.

#45774 12/11/04 02:18 PM
Never heard of RG-6 datacom cable

Pardon my mistake.

What cable does one use if the 'net access is through the cable company instead of a DSL line?

What would it be called if a data connection is being piped through an RG-6?

Am I even more of an idiot than I thought?

BTW... I replaced it, ate the cost in materials and labor due to my dumb honesty, and then I got docked over $100 because the customer felt the mark-up was unfair since she paid me a deposit and essentially bought the materials for me.

I was too desperate for the check to argue...

...then... my best maintenance account POed me when questioning a $48.50 bill for replacing a HPS 70W bulb (including price of the bulb mind you) and I spend nearly $1000 a month at this guy's store... Jeez...

I no longer have that account.

[Linked Image]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#45775 12/12/04 08:40 PM
U
Hell S66...you're having a ball aren't you! [Linked Image]

We all go through duff times like this - if that's any consolation.

Chin up! [Linked Image]

If hindsight were foresight, we'd all be millionaires!
#45776 12/13/04 10:19 PM
F
First of all, it's good to see you around again Virgil,

What cable does one use if the 'net access is through the cable company instead of a DSL line?

After the modem you will use cat5, cat5e etc as with most newer networks. Before the modem, cable will use the RG6 and I'm not sure of DSL.

Older networks, base 10, would use coax cable. Most of the equipment is pretty obscure now and I don't think you can even get those NIC cards in anything newer than a ISA slot configuration. The newer technology has really made those older networks obsolete by todays standards.

And I think you did the right thing to replace it.

FRANK

#45777 12/14/04 10:27 AM
Virgil,
I'd agree with Frank (FWW56).
First of all, it's good to see you around again Virgil
Personally I would say you've been unlucky with this job, but lets put it into perspective, how often would a thing like this happen anyway?.
I've done exactly the same thing before and I guess that we aren't the only two that have done it before and we won't be the last either (at least as long as I'm working in the Electrical Industry)!. [Linked Image]
As John(UKSparky) said above, Chin Up mate!.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard