ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#45494 11/30/04 07:34 PM
M
Hi,
I am setting up a design for a all electric subdivision where the owner is paying all the utilities and installing his own water treatment facility. There is also permanent site lighting that will be installed (Stainless Light Poles) throughout the subdivision.

Each residence will have a 100A main breaker in a NEMA 3R panel mounted on the exterior wall and there are 220 residences in the subdivision.

Wouldn't this be best acheived with primary metering, switchboard, and pad mounted transformers that will be located throughout the subdivision to feed the residences and the area lighting.

What is the best setup for this type of installation? A primary metered MDP with 480 VAC feeders to the transformers and service laterals from the pedastals to the residence?

I was thinking a Switchboard with high voltage breakers feeding the transformers?

What is the most common type of installation for this type of setup?

I would apprecite any suggestions.

Thanks for any replies.

-regards

Mustang

#45495 11/30/04 09:24 PM
S
I have only seen a setup like your talking about once before. It wasn't a subdivision but a large resort. The Poco metered the 12KV and then set a 12kv/4160 transformer which was then distrubuted to the different areas where they placed transformers for each building.

IMHO based on the size of the subdivision It seems like 480VAC distribution wouldn't quite be enough to power the subdivision without worrying about voltage drop issues or some pretty good sized feeders.

I hope I have been at least a little help

Link Copied to Clipboard