ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#45298 11/22/04 06:52 PM
S
What's you favorite motion light? I've tried several here lately and am kind of dissatisfied with what I've found. I'm talking about the maneuvability of the bulbs and motion detector. On a "design" job I had, I was looking to get about 150 watts per bulb, but found out at the store I went to, they didn't carry 150 watt bulbs anymore. I could have got a halogen 250 watt per "head", but that was going to be too much for the low heigth I was going to have to mount it. I settled with the 150 watt halogen, but the manuevability of the sensor and the bulbs wasn't very good. I tend to like the ones with the long arm on the sensor. It seems there is more of an adjustment with them, but didn't seem to see any that could take a 150 watt flood bulb. Also can anyone tell any difference in the $ 40.00 lights compared to the $ 80.00 or $ 90.00 motion lights? I spent probably 1 1/2 hours at 2 stores trying to make my mind up which one was better, and still had to go back and return the one I bought ( 250 wt. halogen ) and got the 150 wt. halogen, and still wasn't completely satisfied when I got it up [Linked Image] Thanks for the input. Steve

#45299 11/22/04 08:55 PM
D
I get the Journeyman All-Metal dual floods with shrouds at Home Depot. They're about $60. I have a couple on my house. I've installed the cheaper ones and waived my hands in front of them without activation the sensor.

Still, I think the failure rate under warranty (first year) is about 20%, but it has a lifetime warranty.

Dave

#45300 11/22/04 09:06 PM
A
I also use the Journeyman light that Dave mentioned and have pretty good luck with them. I installed a cheap motion light supplied by the homeowner and I ended up putting 3 of these up before I got one that lasted more than a month. Now I try convince the homeowne to let me supply any motion lights. If he has allready purchased it I suggest to him he should take it back.

#45301 11/22/04 11:14 PM
S
Thanks, guys. Believe it or not, it was the Journeyman that I got, then took back because I thought it would be too bright, which it probably would have at no more than about 7 or 8 ft. off the ground and throwing out 500 watts of light. If I could have put it up higher, it would have been ideal. I did like the way the sensor was mounted and the big adjustments in the light arms. I was afraid the 100 watt halogens would not give of the light that was needed, but now I kind of wish I would have gotten it. Oh well, I guess that's in the "learning". I have gotten the Regency's from Lowes in times past for residential homes, and they seemed alright, the $ 32.00 ones, but this was for security reasons on a "half way house", and I wanted to make sure I got enough light.
Next time I think I will recommend the Journeyman light, even though it cost more. I just about went my limit with the ones with limited adjustments. I did see a couple today, I think is new on the shelf. One that has an alarm you can plug into an outlet inside the house, that lets you know when the motion light has went off. I may try that one when security is the priority in residential. Also another one that had a second light that would come on automatically when the first motion light came on, by transmitting a signal. It had to be mounted within 100 ft. of the original one. These were at Home Depot. Sometimes it's good to know what's available when selling a job or talking preliminarys with a customer. Can't always go shopping first before selling a job [Linked Image] Well thanks again for the input. Maybe next time will be the "right choice". Steve....

Link Copied to Clipboard