ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#45238 11/21/04 09:16 PM
E

H
Not for nothing but the fine in NJ just went up from $500 to $2000. The Dept. of Community Affairs (DCA) thought that $500 was too little. They figured that a $2000 hit in your pocket book might make you take out a permit the next time you have too. Just a little reminder for the NJ people out there.

L
LK Offline
It's not just the fines, or loss of lic. what if there is no permit, and a loss takes place, are you ready to pay a large loss that, the insurer will not cover, because work was not permitted or face criminal charges.
Ya, we all know, it's just a little job, or only one outlet, but that little job, one outlet can determine your future, if all goes wrong.

E
e57 Offline
SF is 10X's permit cost per trade per day. Pity those who get bust on friday, or a long week-end, then if you can't qualify for permit, like you dont have a licence... $10,000, and call the license board for you.

Average permit cost varies from $100 - $400 on resi, $100 -several thousand on Comm. done by sq/ft.

My favorite is the giant red door seal, and locks, and a sign that says removing tools or material is a felony.

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 11-21-2004).]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Ouch!!!
And people say NJ is "TOUGH".
That makes the $2k look like a business exspense!!

John

John
C
harold endean

Where can I find more info on the fines in NJ?

regards,
Jim

When I vowed to never work in Lewisburg again, I had it out with the Inspector there, seems anything above a lamp change requires a permit. Pulling a permit requires submitting a drawing. I think there's some rule somewhere saying that only architects and draftsmen are allowed to do the drawings and engineers need to be called in to make sure it is right. Everyone stamps it, and you're not allowed to make copies.

At my last estimate, a switch-change (we're talking resi 15A single pole here) would be about a $1000 job before you ever got the cover off.

Like I told the inspector, some rules will only insure that qualified people won't touch it with a ten-foot pole.

Why? Mr. Handyman across the street can change that switch for a sandwich and a cup of coffee... why would they want to do it "right"?

Stupid...

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
Coachman:

First, welcome to the forum from another NJ guy.

I can give you the following NJ info, as I'm in NJ also.

The State Uniform Construction Code (NJUCC), 5:23 et al sets the standards for fines. As Harold said the $500 max was increased to $2000, and yes, I have written a few $2k Notices of Violation.

It's not something that I like to do, but the last guy acted like "oh well" as he came in and wrote the check.

Enforcement is up to the AHJ's and the Construction Official (CO), and remember the $2k is MAXIMUM.

If you need or want specifics, e-mail me or Harold. You can get a UCC (Blue Book) from Trenton, and if you do, subscribe to the update service, as there are constant changes.

BTW, if you're looking for good reading materials, the UCC is NOT it....it's a LAW book, and a lot is written in legaleese.

John

John
W
What if your proposal states "permits not included" to the owner or General Contractor.
Would you still be liable because they failed to get a permit? Opinions?

Wewire2:
It isa the Lic EC's responsibility to apply for and obtain the Electrical Permit here in NJ.

The EC's is also RESPONSIBLE to obtain any and ALL required inspections.

NJ 5:23 also states wording to the effect that "FINAL payment shall NOT be made until all inspections and APPROVALS are obtained"
Those are not the exact words, but that's the drift.

A good line within a Proposal is "permit fees are NOT included in Proposal Total Costs; permit fees will be invoiced at 'cost' and a copy provided"

John

John

Link Copied to Clipboard