ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 266 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#45049 11/17/04 10:34 PM
E
e57 Offline OP
In our Company we branched out to do Tel/Data years ago, yet still have some employees who dont cross the line when it comes to Phones and Networking. (Great Electricians though.) However, it accounts for 25-30% of our work these days.

Most of crossing that line is the learning curve. (ie Teaching it)

Another part of it is these guys not wanting to be run on phone and network jobs by much younger electricians, who when they started learned both electrical, and the LV side.

(I too was in the trade a while before all the LV stuff started becoming a staple food for us. But drew it in quick.)

So anyway, sort of hiring out guys to do just Phones and Data, and having only a percentage of work for them, and another percentage of work for the others, I would like to see if I can broaden some horizons slightly.

So short of sending everyone to expenive courses. Does anyone know of some "easy reading" books on Cabling standards and instalation / termination?

Clarification: "Easy reading" in the sense that they won't put you to sleep!

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
E
Pro Home Depot Has a 1 day seminar that is put on by LEVITON FOR LV wiring. I took it at the Milpitas location. you might call the Colma Pro Home Depot to see if they offer that at that location.(closer to you)
I have also taken the BICSI week long course it was for 5-6 days and then you take a test to be first level installer. BICSI might also be a good source.

Good luck
Edward

Thanks
Edward

Link Copied to Clipboard