ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 276 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#45019 11/17/04 04:07 PM
S
out of all the building trades which one do you think is the most respected and which one do you think makes the best living

#45020 11/17/04 05:27 PM
N
I have chose to remove my post for i feel all trades demand the same respect!

[This message has been edited by NJ Wireman (edited 11-17-2004).]

#45021 11/17/04 08:05 PM
S
true i agree when it it comes to the trades the electrican is the most truly knowledgeable craftsman on most sites the electricans skills and training that we must have is tops. Sadly in my area the elect is not respected that well. We are considered second rate behind others. the only thing behind the elcet is the hvac guy. so that is why I asked that question. just wanted everybody to weight in.

I also believe that money is not everything and I will do electrical ( and Have ) work for free just to do it

#45022 11/17/04 08:12 PM
N
I have chose to remove my post as i feel all trades should be respected the same!

[This message has been edited by NJ Wireman (edited 11-17-2004).]

#45023 11/17/04 09:56 PM
E
e57 Offline
PLUMBERS!

They can make more than us, but it is filthy work.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#45024 11/17/04 11:23 PM
E
e57 Offline
On the respect issue..... I had to think about this before I start ranting.

And that is important!

If one can not command it, demand it!

I too have noticed I must demand it more lately, as some people think that because your collar is blue, or don't have one that you might be some how below them. I just will not accept that! From the begining I would not tolorate peole speaking to me in any tone that was below me. Not to say that I have not quit jobs or been fired from them either.

But respect seems to come with knowledge, and exeriance, and only as a token with age. Or so it seems.

As a lowly 2 year Sparky, its like being Rodney Dangerfield.

4 years, some people still treat you like you're 18, just coming of age.

As a Foreman / Field Supervisor some would only tolorate some your demands, or sometimes not. (I have refused to work for some Generals, and they likewise some have asked not to have me back too. Not because of my work, but I would beat it out the details from them, and refuse to install sub-standard work, or cut corners. Some Arch's, GC's and EE's have said things like , "Thanks for catching that", or "You mean theres a Code for that? I guess we should do it that way." Then again, some will throw the nose in the air as to avoid your stink, and 'HOW dare this PERSON speak to me directly." I don't work for those people anymore....)

As an Owner/Operator everything was great. Once contract is in hand, they have to respect you authority for the work you perform, at least until the end of the project. I was in charge of my own show. In charge of my own work, and people would approach you differently for the most part, and those relationships that gelled well worked great, others did not. Won customers and lost them for the same reasons above. Also not in business anymore either! (Not the only reasons stated here, but all the other factors of the economy and starting small as well.)

Bottom line and cliches:

"If one can not command it, demand it!"
And if you do so....
"If you talk the talk, you better know how to walk the walk."

Granted: I have been at this for 15 years, and I learn something new all the time. I'm not afraid to say I don't know something. But I'll guarrantee I know more about the topic than the average shmuck by the next time I see you.

And ECN is a good resource for that.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#45025 11/18/04 12:12 AM
T
twh Offline
I have the most respect for architects and engineers, when they work together. Only they can design a building with switches in glass dividers, 7 foot signs on 6 foot walls, and 10 foot hanging lights on 8 foot ceilings. That's real talent!

#45026 11/18/04 10:31 PM
R
I agree with e57 it seems as time has gone by, fewer people respect trades people. We even seem to have less respect for one another. I believe this to be due to competation in everything we do today.It is hard to find any work ethic from the young, they will walk off a job or hide in a ny minute. People will pump you for information on what materials to use, how to put it together or try to low ball you when it comes time to pay. But, they will pay big $$ to have some rather strange things done to them.

#45027 11/19/04 12:32 AM
A
Read "Our Undervalued Profession" and "A Dear John Letter" at www.pmmag.com Click on editorial archives and type the title "Our Undervalued Profession" in the search window. Or you can search www.google.com for "A Dear John Letter by Frank Blau" & "Our Undervalued Profession by Frank Blau"

[This message has been edited by A-Line (edited 11-19-2004).]

#45028 11/19/04 09:27 AM
... General Contractors generally have been under-rated for a long time,...who else supplies us with work,at which we do at cut-throat rates,only to be screwed almost each an every time on a continual basis?? Who holds our payments over our heads,until we've completed 175% of the job,only to drag out paying us when the payments are due?? Who else,but the GC is the liason between the client and us,and keeps us out of the loop,until something has to be changed,usually too late,and he tells the client that it's our fault....yeah,I don't think the GC gets the recognition they deserve,...it's hard work milking the trades of their profits...
Russ

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard