ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 274 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#44589 11/08/04 03:49 PM
B
Bert66 Offline OP
I have had this question asked several times and had just as many answers. When it is stated, that the ground conductor from the meter pan, to the distribution panel down to the ground rod and the water pipe be unbroken. Is it meant that it is physically not cut or that it has continuity from the ground rod to the meter pan. Help as it sometimes seems almost impossable to get a #4 copper from point A to point B without cutting it. Any suggestions on of others do it would be a BIG help.

#44590 11/08/04 04:06 PM
G
I feel that this way is fine and i install in this way; from the water pipe to the panal unbroken, then a seperate piece from the panal out to the ground rods unbroken. that is how i was taught and how i install and have not failed for such yet. Also jump water heater(s) and meter. hope that can be of help anyone else out there chime in.

#44591 11/08/04 05:06 PM
I
Hi Bert I am not sure what you mean here.

the ground conductor from the meter pan, to the distribution panel

Why would we run a ground conductor from the meter to the panel?

The section you are probably asking about is 250.64(C)

(C) Continuous. The grounding electrode conductor shall be installed in one continuous length without a splice or joint, unless spliced only by irreversible compression-type connectors listed for the purpose or by the exothermic welding process.

Exception: Sections of busbars shall be permitted to be connected together to form a grounding electrode conductor.

Here is a picture that shows what conductor is the Grounding Electrode Conductor and what conductors are bonding jumpers.

[Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#44592 11/08/04 05:42 PM
B
Bert66 Offline OP
iwire, you show in your picture from the ground rod/water pipe to the ground terminal strip (one piece of wire). Then a seperate wire from the ground terminal strip to a bonding ring at the hub where the service enters the panel. Would you not bring the wire through the nipple up to the meter pan (is it not reqired)? I have always brought it up into the meter and landed it under the screw next to the neutral. Did I miss something, could you please explain. As for (Continuous) I think that the exception here may clear up some confuseion.

Thanks Bert

#44593 11/08/04 07:22 PM
R
Bert, bringing a GEC from the Meter to the Main Panel, puts the the Grounding Electrode Conductor and the Grounded Conductor in parallel. If this is going to be done, you would need to be in compliance with 310.4, Conductors in Parallel.

Roger

#44594 11/08/04 07:23 PM
E
We don't generally bond to the "meter pan". The neutral is automatically bonded to the meter enclosure via the neutral lug. In those instances where the meter enclosure also contains the main disconnect, then we will terminate the GEC on the lug provided for that purpose in the side of the enclosure where the main disconnect is located.
The code does allow for the bonding of the GEC at any point from the weatherhead up to the enclosure containing the main disconnect. So the NEC does allow bonding the meter enclosure, but most utilities will not allow this practice, as it is poor practice to allow non-utility employees to cut the seals and remove the meter to inspect the GEC connection. The utility is very worried you are going to steal electricity from them.

Earl
#44595 11/08/04 07:31 PM
T
I land the #6 from the ground rods to the meter socket. Then I run whatever size GEC required to the water pipes, building steel,etc, and land that in the panel on the grounding bar. Never had the utility say anything about it yet. I have never run a grounding conductor from the meter to the panel
edited for bad typing [Linked Image].

[This message has been edited by trekkie76 (edited 11-08-2004).]

#44596 11/08/04 08:13 PM
A
You would not be alowed to use a smaller #6 for the G rod if all grounds had to be continous. Every area is a bit different. Here a ground bonds the service pipe but never parallel with the nutral.

Tom

#44597 11/08/04 08:24 PM
R
Earl, why would we cut a seal to inspect the GEC connection anymore than we would cut the seal to inspect the other connections we made in the meter?

These connections do not need or require regular inspecting.

In any case, a reason would be needed to ask the POCO to open the meter if a problem was suspected to be behind their seal.

Roger

Link Copied to Clipboard