ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#44494 11/05/04 06:02 PM
D
Dave55 Offline OP
I just tested a residence where a bulb died and tripped the breaker. The service is 130 volts to ground. I read a thread here about using 130 volt bulbs to lengthen bulb life, and how using 120 volt bulbs on a 130 volt system will shorten their life.

My questions are, isn't this voltage a bit high, can the POCO adjust it, or can I install a transformer to adjust it? The service is 200 amp.

Dave

#44495 11/05/04 06:42 PM
D
Start by reporting to the POCO, it is a little high.

#44496 11/05/04 06:48 PM
You are most likely correct, it does seem high and the electric utility should fix the problem. First, contact them to see if indeed they have a problem or you have a bad meter (I assure you that their meters are more accurate than yours). There could be a problem with a primary neutral, be too close to a substation or voltage regulators, a capacitor bank in the neighborhood that shouldn't be turned on when it is, etc. Second (if you get no satisfaction . . . HMMM . . . no, I will leave that thought alone), contact the state's public service commission. I assure you that they will cause the electric utility to react.

Try the electric utility route first, contacting the public service commission is like driving a tack with a sledgehammer. [Linked Image]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis, Utility Power Guy

Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis Utility Power Guy
#44497 11/05/04 07:57 PM
A
I got that "our meters are more accurate than yours" line before talking to the Poco before. When they came out he had the same fluke as me. If it is 130v on both legs I would bet they wont do anything. This will happen:

1. Call the Poco. Wait on hold. Maybe you can argue with the phone person about there being a problem. They might ask "are you realy an electrician?".
2. Lineman comes out. Checks and agreess it's high. Says thay are understaffed and over worked. Can't do anything right now but he'll make a report for the next guy to fix it.
3. Still waiting for a step 3.

In the Com Ed book it says:
(1.051) Voltages specified in this book are nominal and variations in voltages from nominal values are acceptable within limits (83 Ill. Admin. Code Part 410). Voltage variation measured at the customer's service terminal(s) shall not exceed for a period longer than 1 minute:

a. 5.8% above or below nomimal voltage for a service rendared for a lighting purpose. On the company's 120v standard, the range is 127 volts maximum and 113 volts minimum.

b. 10% above or below nomimnal voltage for services rendared for a power purpose.

Let us know if they do anything,

Tom

#44498 11/05/04 09:30 PM
D
Dave55 Offline OP
Thanks, guys.

Have you noticed a change in ComEd service, Tom? The last time I needed them for an 8a.m. disconnect they showed up at 11. Then the reconnect guy almost reconnected without making sure the wires were in the meter socket.

I told the customer to call them. Let him be on hold & argue with them.

Dave

#44499 11/05/04 10:54 PM
J
ComEd's real hit & miss. I have had great experiences and teribble ones. I think partly it depends on what happens to be going on at the time (how busy they are), as well as what area you are in. There is one guy (Lineman) I have delt with a couple of times that has his priorities a little messed up:
1. screw with you and your day.
2. do his job.

But I will say my brother had his tail put between his legs learning a lesson about cheap meters. He went back and forth with ComEd because he was reading 233, 234, and 256 at my uncle's wood shop. Had ComEd out twice insisting something was wrong. Met the guys out there and I think they went easy on him.

He's got a real nice Fluke now.

#44500 11/06/04 09:56 AM
The reason that their meters are generally more accurate that yours is that they have a meter lab that sends a standards type meter to a high precision laboratory for calibration on a periodic basis. All of the trouble men's meters are calibrated against that standard. When is the last time you had your Fluke calibrated?

Step 3 is yours to take, go to the public service commission if you can't get them to respond to you. [Linked Image]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis, Utility Power Guy

Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis Utility Power Guy
#44501 11/06/04 10:33 AM
T
Just curious Charlie, how do they calibrate a digital Fluke? Do they just tell you the amount of deviation from their standard, or do they actually adjust something? The lineman I deal with have the same meter I do. Just wondering what would be do to it.Thanks.

#44502 11/06/04 11:07 AM
D
Next time you replace the battery in your Fluke you will notice some potentiometers inside. These are for calibration.

The instrument labs have precisiom voltage and current sources they use to calibrate meters. If yo were to look at Fluke's master catalog you will see one of the calibrators.

#44503 11/06/04 11:12 AM
T
thanks dereckbc, good info.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard