ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 573 guests, and 37 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Can't say I'm much of a rail fan but I have done a little wiring on some locomotives that look like the SW1500 Yard Switcher in Scott's pics.

The "hot start" system is a 480v 3ph. hot water heater with a circulation pump that helps get the diesel going in the cold weather.

It has become an annual event to get these systems functioning every fall. We have a dual-locomotive that needs to be done now, but I don't think that I'll get to do it........doesn't hurt my feelings much, I can't get near one of these things without getting covered from head-to-toe with grease!

GJ

G

We have a dual-locomotive that needs to be done now, but I don't think that I'll get to do it
GJ

I did end up doing this job last Friday. Cold weather is moving in and the customer was getting very nervous about cold starts.

We ended up setting a fused disco for each locomotive on the hand rail at the center point of the two locomotives. That way they can run either system independent of the other. The locomotives were connected tail-to-tail, the head end being the cab?????. There is a pump for hot water and one for the oiling system. Total load for both systems was 18A.

Thankfully, these units were very clean!

GJ

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard