ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ComputerWizKid), 331 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#44380 11/02/04 10:59 PM
H
hypress Offline OP
Has anyone had any experience with NFPA70E the electrical safe work procedures and arc blast protection requirements.From what I have heard some of it is OK but some of it is way out in left field. Our plant has been useing flash suits for switching for years now 70E says you have to use flash suits any time you work on anything 100 volts or more.What is your alls take on 70E. THANKS.

#44381 11/03/04 08:22 AM
B
Hypress,
It is not as restrictive as that. It stipulates several levels of protection based on the work being done and the voltages present. Basically they have assumed the arc potential for many common jobs and setup the proper protection for each.

I would reccommend that you invest in some arc hazard analysis if you plan on fully implementing 70E, it will significantly lower most of the requirements.

The protection levels can be as low as all-natural fiber clothes up to the full arc suit with ballistic protection.

Good luck,
Ed

#44382 11/03/04 11:03 AM
R
Ron Offline
In order to use the standardized table in NFPA 70E, you must know the calculated fault current at the equipment you will be working on, then calculate the arc flash fault current, then you can match that to the characteristic of the upstream protective deices (breakers and fuses), to see how long it will take to clear the fault. Then and only then can you attempt to use the table in NFPA 70E, if you fall within the parameters of the notes in the table.
I have found many incident energies higher than 40 or even 100 cal/cm^2, thus making any arc suit useless.
Don't forget the energized work permits required by 70E too [Linked Image]
Good luck.

Ron

Link Copied to Clipboard