ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 530 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Wish there were more like you, sandsnow.

Dave

E
e57 Offline OP
Hey Dave,

I don't want to linger on the Mexico card too long, but it does seem only slightly fair seeing that they have only just two months ago provided any information about this law in spanish, and DO NOT have a spanish test yet! ( One must also remember that California was once part of Mexico, and some of them would not mind taking it back! [Linked Image] )They figure they might have a test in Spanish six months before they are all due, leaving a huge number of people who must take it last minute.

We also must remember that only 70% of the electrical trade know (English speaking or not) of this test anyway, which also includes people who only speak Chinese (Two Kinds), Tagaolog, French, etc, etc.

California is a very diverse place, and to give you an example, I'll use my crew.

1 Chinese
2 Philipino
2 Mexican
3 Nicuragua (A different Spainish dialect)
1 Samoa
1 Irish (A different English dialect)
4 American born

And everyone speaks english fuentley at work, (as I mis-spell) but don't read it very well. I also have half of this crew who have been in the trade for over 15 years, some 20! 50% have passed, 25% are re-testing, 25% have not recieved their paper work back yet. But were supposed to have already taken it months ago.

Bottom line is this law is being completely mis-managed. It was signed into law almost 6 years ago, and they have been holding it over our heads with little to no action for years. I suspect it will get knocked back again in another six months.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
D
"It is NOT voluntary Senior dmattox, all Electricians as employees of C-10's, who use tools, connececting 100va or more. MANDITORY!"

Can you show me somewhere in the law that shows its not voluntary? Not the DAS website, but the actual law.

Now it may be forced in without proper wording in the law, but as the law read it was voluntary, unless I misunderstand the word "may".

D
"Chapter 2. California Apprenticeship Council
Subchapter 4. Electrician Certification
New query
§290.0. General
Scope and Application: Improper electrical connections can result in fire or other damage to property and can cause injury and death. Any individual MAY apply for certification showing that the individual possesses the skill, knowledge and training to safely and competently make electrical connections of 100 volt-amperes or more in the course of doing work for an electrical contractor."

E
e57 Offline OP
dmattox, here you go..... Found here: Manditory!
http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/01-02/bill/asm/ab_1051-1100/ab_1087_bill_20020529_chaptered.html

SEC. 2. Section 3099.2 is added to the Labor Code, to read:
3099.2. (a) Persons who perform work as electricians shall become
certified pursuant to Section 3099 by January 1, 2005. After
January 1, 2005, uncertified persons may not perform electrical work
for which certification is required.

(b) Certification is required only for those persons who perform
work as electricians for contractors licensed as Class C-10
electrical contractors under the Contractors' State License Board
Rules and Regulations. Certification is not required for persons
performing work for contractors licensed as Class C-7 low voltage
systems or Class C-45 electric sign contractors as long as the work
performed is within the scope of the Class C-7 or Class-45 license,
including incidental and supplemental work as defined in Section 7059
of the Business and Professions Code, and regardless of whether the
same contractor is also licensed as a Class C-10 contractor.

The "may" in the context you quote is that an individual "may" apply, he "may" not have a job much longer either. I'm not trying to get your goat, but it is for real.... Although postponed???? [Linked Image]

Mark Heller
[Linked Image]

The part that I find upsetting about this is that I will be renewing my 3 year old certification 3 months after the monolingual Spanish deadline.

If there wasn't such an economic issue involved, I would see this postponement as nothing more than a reward for apathy and laziness.

D
I stand corrected, thanks e57.

I think it will never go into effect though due to lack of participation. I have heard there are around 75,000-100,000 electricians in the state, and only 10,000 people have passed the test to date (per DAS website), then that’s 10% of the states electricians have it. There is a critical mass where enforcement becomes impossible. Or enforcement would be so bloody that the state politicians will not allow the fallout (as we have seen for the last few years with delay after delay).

But regardless, I still have my test date and will be taking the exam. Having another card in my wallet can't hurt right?

S
To Dave55 - Thank You,

Regarding the renewal date, there is a RUMOR that it is likely that all renewals will start at 3 years from the "final" "final" deadline that the CAC sets.

What is typical of our state is that no rulemaking has been done on enforcement and standards for continuing education for renewal.

I'm optimistic about the certification program. It sounds like I'm being naive, but given time it could develop into something worthwhile.

The lack of education in the code is terrible in this state. My hope is that the continuing education will correct that.

Right now the test is easy and qualifying for it is even easier. No proof needed. Eventually I predict it will get harder.

No one who lives here should be surprised at the deference given to ESL (english second language) people. As I am, you have every right to be frustrated about it.

Larry LeVoir
Inspector
City of Irvine, CA
E
e57 Offline OP
Regarding the renewal date, there is a RUMOR that it is likely that all renewals will start at 3 years from the "final" "final" deadline that the CAC sets.

Yes there is some truth to the rumor.
http://www.dir.ca.gov/DAS/ECU_FAQ.htm

17. I am an electrician. I will be taking my test in 2003. I understand the mandatory date for all electricians to be certified is January 1, 2005. When will my renewal date be?

Currently, the renewal date is three years from the date your certificate was issued. However, the Division of Apprenticeship Standards will commence rulemaking on AB 1087 by Fall, 2003. We anticipate that during AB 1087 rulemaking regulations will be proposed that provide an extension of the expiration date for all electricians who have tested prior to December 31, 2004. Under this proposal, the three-year expiration date would commence on January 1, 2005 for all electricians. For all those electricians who have received their certification prior to 1/1/05, the expiration would then be their anniversary date in the year 2008.
This is going to change too..... Because of the postponement.

And as for "enforcement", the parent of the DAS, the DIR, is also in charge of rule making for Workmen's Comp', I have it essentially from the houses mouth that "insurablity" will be the method of enforcment. No Certification, no insurance, no work!

In ideal, as a concept Certification is great, but not like this. In my opinion this law should be handled by the CSLB, not the DAS. (Which happen to be a bunch of $100 an hour consultants, and a handfull of state employees, who have no contact with the trade on the ground.)

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 11-02-2004).]

Mark Heller
F
Just a question regarding the three classifications: Journeyman, Residential and Fire Life Safety Technician.

Does a Journeyman electrician have to be certified as a Fire Life Safety technician also?

Your interpretations would be welcome!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard