ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
M
Hello, I am a newbie. I hope someone can give me some advice.
My electric meter is currently in my backyard in the middle of the house. The service drop comes from the pole in the corner of my backyard, coming at a diagonal over my deck. It is only 11 ft up from my deck and the wires are unsightly so I am looking to move the meter to the side of the house, the same side as the pole.
This is my dilemma: By relocating the meter the breaker panel in my basement is now 20 ft away, requiring me to have a main breaker outside. My other option is to relocate the breaker panel to the same side as the meter panel. I no longer need the breaker outside but now I have to run 13 "jumper" circuits from where the old panel was to where the new panel is going, which is not that bad since my basement has some access points in the ceiling.
So which is better or more desirable?

I
Without being there and seeing all the variables it is tough to give an answer.

In general in my opinion it is easer to leave the existing panel in place and re feed it.

Remember this panel will now be a sub panel and the neutrals and grounds will need to be separated. Also the grounding electrode system will need to be relocated to the new service disconnect location.

If you want to really clean things up why not go underground from the house to the pole. Use a Meter Main combo unit made for an underground feed.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
D
This is really a matter of what you prefer. Do you need a new panel and updated grounding? Which location in the basement do you prefer? Is your current service adequate in amperage and quantity of available circuits?

You'll need to pound two new ground rods at the new meter location in any case. The underground service is a good option, except that your deck might be in the way.

Dave

You also have the option of moving the service to the corner of the home and running outside the home to the original point of entrance. That will permit you to do it without putting a disconnecting means on the outside of the home and the extra ground rods. The service can be left overhead or buried, your choice (you may have a charge from the electric utility if you bury). [Linked Image]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis, Utility Power Guy

Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis Utility Power Guy
I
That's the funny thing about you utility guys, you all have your own rules. [Linked Image]

Here if I relocate he overhead the POCO will charge for the move, after all they move the wires they own.

If I go underground the customer will have to provide ditch, pipe, wire and labor to about 15' up the pole. Almost no charge from the POCO. [Linked Image]

Just wish the POCO would use the POCO specified grounding clamp that I put on the metal risers. [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
M
Sorry I didn't make this clear in my original post. I have now 100 Amp service with the infamous Federal Pacific breaker panel with no main disconnect, so yes, this will be a service upgrade to 200 amp service with a brand new panel.
I can't run or pipe the feed outside to the original breaker location because I would pretty much see it on my house in the backyard and it would look unsightly. Running under the deck is not an option either since I might be getting a pool in the future and rebuilding the deck. Going underground is not an option either since there is mostly concrete in the area. So it made the most sense to me to put it on the side of the house.

D
That being the scenario I think I'd put the new service opposite the new meter socket and run several conduits (inside the basement) over to where the old service is. Then with a series of junction boxes you can tie into the circuits at the old service. If the basement is open some of the circuits will have the length to come into the new panel. Of course, you'll need to update the grounding.

Dave

Link Copied to Clipboard