ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 268 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Lee Offline OP
http://s14.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=B650D5CC4E57DCAB2772359E09F0B0FA

i just want your thoughts on how you would approach this...

i'll be running conduit from the J-box on the right side straight to the panel. I will also run conduit through the 4-ways.

...now im a rookie at this but i have a good idea of what im doing. your help would be much appreciated. thanks.

H
You first. How about drawing some wiring on that plan.

-Hal

G
I get "file transfer unavailable"

L
LK Offline
What Plan?

L
Lee Offline OP

E
e57 Offline
Hard to know what is going on there with out knowing which swithes will control what, or what the circuit wires are.

Phase, nuetral, travellers, switch wire, etc. At first glance it seems there may be an extra wire on the 4-way side, not enough on the 3-way side. But can't tell really.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Lee, welcome!

I see you're a student. You wouldn't be asking us to do your homework, would you??

I don't see how the 4 ways are connected to the lighting in the hallway.

Although it's only my personal thing, I prefer not to run the travellers through the downlights (as in the large room)

E
I never use "J" boxes if at all possible to omit them. There is no reason for them in this plan.
4-way switches are used when there are more than 2 switching locations, but the first and last switch in such a run are 3-way switches.
The number of conductors between 4-way switches is three, not 4 as shown, but then the switching sequence is not really indicated. Maybe this wiring is required.
I would not have quite so many switches as shown, and I would place them differently. It is customary to indicate with lower case letters (a,b,c) which light fixtures are associated with which switches.

Earl
D
I'd like to second electures motion on doing your own homework, talk with your teacher.

I also agree that from a practical standpoint, it's simpler to tie all the lights together with a pair of wires run either to one of the switches (typically one of the two 3-way switches, not the 4-way switches) or a junction box. However, your teacher may be looking for a little more imagination.

If you haven't seen it yet, look at some wiring diagrams of 3-way switching, then compare to 4-way switching. It's really just adding the 4-way (or two or three 4-ways) into the two travellers of the 3-ways.

Stick with it, it's the best trade around.

Dave

H
i also get file transfer unavailable, even trying both links...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard