ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 178 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#44116 10/30/04 05:01 PM
... I HATE Christmas lights!!!!! I have a good account,it's a Diner,and every year,the Owner insists on putting up those crappy icicle-hanging lights around the entire perimeter of the building.He gave me a reprieve last year,'cause he left them up all year,but this year,he turned them on,and of course half are lit,while the other half is dead.I truly dread it,but if I want to keep him as a customer,I'm gonna have to indulge him.As if to add insult to injury,he said when we were finished,he'd like his house done as well....RATS!!! BAH HUMBUG INDEED!!! [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Russ

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
#44117 10/30/04 05:13 PM
J
Mustang, I would say it depends how busy you are. I do the Chistmas lights on two commercial buildings because I know and like the owner, and because I already know where the timeclocks and GFI's are, and also because he asked me to. I did the original installs and now just maintain them.

I probably wouldn't do Christmas lights under different circumstances unless I needed work. I can't imagine hanging minibulbs at someone's house. But I guess if someone felt they really wanted me to, I would consider it.

Electric Eagle, Christmas Decor sounds like the same type of place I got my C-9's and bulb holder clips. They hang the lighted canycanes and decorative trees from the light poles in the parking lots for different and light the shopping centers. I have pressed him about what he does the rest of the year and from what I gather, his seasonal windfall gets him through most of the year.

Gloria, it's all about taste. Some dispays are classy, and some just gaudy. Simpler is usually better, but that won't get you in the paper or on the news.

#44118 10/31/04 07:52 PM
M
Thanks for all these great replies. I read in Electrical Contractor Mag that there was a pretty large market for doing this. Most of the folks who I have spoken to want high end decorations...NO ICICLES..These folks are upper middle class and retired.

Myself I am pretty busy but I read the article and added a line to my ad in the newspaper and got quite a few calls asking about the service.

I would say the degree of difficulty, the variables involved and the liability involved would have to govern the fees.

The commercial angle is a good idea.

It would be profitable if you start at $250 and go up.

For a reasonable example:

40 jobs @ $250 ea. doing 4 per day (2 hrs. ea.) for 10 business days..(two weeks) would come to -

$10000.00 then charge $100 to remove the lights.. that would come to

$4000.00 thats $14000.00 for one months work given 2 hours per job.

I would say that is good money. I could see selling that.

Gloria, your message was not very clear but I saw the movie and I thought is was funny too. Christmas is what you make of it..it is not all about gifts and decorations..it was originally the time to celebrate the birth of jesus..but thats another thread..some like a lot of decorations some just a little and some none at all..me, i am old fashioned and like a country style christmas...i even cut my own tree and use the old big fat bulbs and old timey decorations..and a goose and ham for dinner..

Merry Christmas..

-regards

Mustang

[This message has been edited by mustangelectric (edited 10-31-2004).]

[This message has been edited by mustangelectric (edited 10-31-2004).]

#44119 11/02/04 03:24 PM
B
Mustang, what mag did you read this in. This sounds like a pretty neat niche market. Does the customer supply the lights, decorations, etc. Is this 2 hr rate for your labor only. If possiable could you point me in the direction of that story. I may like to entertain that one this christmas season.

#44120 11/02/04 03:39 PM
M
Hi,
i saw the article in an old issue of Electrical Contractor Mag or EC&M I am not sure.

-regards

Mustang

#44121 11/02/04 10:11 PM
M
One of the xmas light contractors here in Winnipeg keeps busy with a city contract to paint all the traffic signal light poles in the summer.

Has one guy in a pickup scraping off the road salt scale and painting the lower section with a roller on a pole. He then has his ladder truck come behind to do the high parts and the arms over the traffic lanes.

#44122 11/02/04 11:07 PM
J
We have a neighborhood where everyone tries to do a Tim Allen: more lights, MORE POWER!! I'm sure your town has the same phenomenon.
These homes often need special, additional services installed just for these lights. After the holidays, it all comes down. Even the Poco stuff.
So, this -and the lift needed to do a large tree- makes me think that perhaps there is a need for real electricians to get out in the cold and freeze their watts off installing themhttps://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/icons/icon7.gif https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/icons/icon7.gif

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard