ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
New 'War Vote' Virus Deletes Computer Files
By Elinor Mills Abreu

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Security experts on Monday warned of a brand new virus masquerading as a program that will allow people to vote whether the United States should go to war over the deadly Sept. 11 hijacker attacks, but which deletes computer files instead.

The ``Vote Virus'' is spreading via e-mail to users of Microsoft Corp.'s Outlook e-mail program, said Simon Perry, vice president of security solutions at Computer Associates International Inc.

The virus appears with the subject line: ``Peace between America and Islam!'' and the body of the e-mail reads: ``Hi. Is it a war against America or Islam!? Let's vote to live in peace!'' Perry said.

When the attachment entitled ``WTC.exe'' is opened, the virus deletes all the files on the computer's hard drive and sends copies of the e-mail to every address listed in the computer's address book, he said.

Full Story

Bill
S
These dudes remind me of those fools that spiked the tylenol with cyanide a while back.
[Linked Image]

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Yeah, it's hard to believe that anyone still uses Outlook. I personally won't use any computer that even has it installed, much less running.

D
Heck, my version of Outlook won't even let me open an executable file from an attachment, even if I wanted to. It's pretty simple, if it's an executable or macro type file, don't open it even if it's from someone you know.

BTW, Dspark, what do you use instead of Outlook? I'm kinda looking forward to Office XP, if half of the hype is true...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
I use Netscape Communicator.

P
It's bad enough that these people want to cause problems to other people's computers.

I can't help feeling that to try to carry out their mayhem by associating it with the terrible events of Sep. 11 is sick.

N
I opened another e-mail address I have just now. There were 192 messages all with attachments from the same person whom I don't know. (I check this mail every day!) The subject lines did not match this one but I have to assume it's this or another new one. Be careful!

I don't get to see these things anymore, only notifications that something was sent to me. We've got something on the Mail Server that picks out the virus Emails and quarantees them automatically and sends a notification to me and the sender. It usually names the virus (still get some Sir Cam) but there have been some without names recently too. I can still go look at them if I would want to but haven't tried that yet. It's too bad that all Mail Servers didn't offer this protection to their accounts, then maybe these idiots could do something productive with their talents.

Bill

Bill

Link Copied to Clipboard