ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 278 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#43963 10/25/04 11:40 PM
E
e57 Offline OP
I'm doing a job right now that needs a bunch of surface mounted switch boxes. The problem lays in the fact that your average steel box is not the prettiest item, not to mention most KO's these will fall out apon a breeze.

Anyone know of something more suitable for multigang switches that looks a "little less industrial", with more solid KO's, or non at all?

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
N
How about a wiremold box with adapter fittings to conduit. Wiremold conduit connector #5782A, a short piece of #500 wiremold and your 1 or more gang box. Only drawback is the maximum fill of #500 wiremold. If drop ceiling the wiremold could be installed through the ceiling and changed to conduit above the ceiling. Could be a nice looking finished job.
Ron

C
"Bell Boxes" work pretty well and standard switch plates fit flush with the edge of the box. The largest I have ever seen is 3 gang but you could fit 6 switches using stack switches.

Curt Swartz
B

Heck knows about their availability, but look at the JIC-B part for 1-gang page 2 at www.appletonelec.com/pdf/PB-2-3.pdf

Icecube’s chance in hell, but there’s also page 2+ www.appletonelec.com/pdf/SquareArmored.pdf 4SP Plenum Box 1-1/2" Deep, Drawn Without any holes and with reset knockouts — also 4SPD and 4SPJD.

Another mutation is taking a case of 4S boxes to a sheetmetal shop and have them put a couple of spotwelds on each KO.

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 10-26-2004).]

Link Copied to Clipboard