ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#43954 10/25/04 11:00 PM
D
Dave55 Offline OP
I've had a builder call me once every 2 weeks about an addition in town. First he wants to know if I'm bonded with the city and will I bid on it...(faxes a print)...I call with a question...2 weeks before he calls back...then I want to see the location of the service and the route to the addition (maybe tomorrow he says)...2 weeks go by...then can I come tomorrow.

This guy is really acting goofy, and I have this feeling in my gut that he put my name on the permit. So...I call my buddy at the building department to find out if he did put my name on the permit. I still haven't bid it because I have a general rule that if someone is goofy in the early going, it isn't going to be any better working with them. Anyway, the inspector calls back and my name IS on the permit. He's going to have a word with him and check out his lies.

My first lawyer (may he rest in peace) told me before I went in business that generals are the most friendly, personable people you'd ever want to meet, but they all lie to get what they want.

Dave

#43955 10/25/04 11:42 PM
E
e57 Offline
Icky! Make him sweat! No, make him bleed!

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#43956 10/26/04 12:06 AM
L
LK Offline
Dave,
I don't know where you are located, In my area you need a seal on the permit, or the AHJ will not accept it. No contract No seal.

#43957 10/26/04 04:19 PM
J
I'd consider filing a criminal forgery complaint, and a complaint with the contractors' board. Then- refuse to deal with the sob.

#43958 10/26/04 08:48 PM
A
What company was it?

Something like the happend to me with a guy in Crystal Lake Dream Home Builders. Bid out a job in Lake Forest. Pulled permit. Kept hearing the job was delayed. Had someone go by and said it looked done. Called the building department. Still had my name on it with a final sceduled. They just said they would tag it until someone elce filed a permit. Not enough is done to prevent this. After this I will not give a copy of or licence numbers to anyone except the building department.

Tom

#43959 10/26/04 11:43 PM
... Dave,I had a similar thing happen not too long ago,..although this time,the perpetrator was a H.O.,and it wasn't me who caught the slime-ball it was the Inspector,who,..(thank God)knew me,as well as my work.. He got a nice $2500.00 fine,and had to open all of the walls up to show the wiring... What goes around comes around!!
Russ

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
#43960 10/27/04 07:21 PM
D
My old employer had this happen as well (OK, a variation)

They filed the permit, and installed a temp service to the site. Got into a "discussion" concerning $15k in payment owed by the GC for previous job. EC told him "until I get paid for what has been completed (and sold), no work on the new site".

Well, one day, my foreman drove by the job site, and saw "Electrical Company X" on the site. He stopped by the AHJ, and... oops! They must have forgotten to pull a permit when they scabbed, err uhh "took over" the rough-in.

Luckily, our company was on good terms with the AHJ - he went over and wound up red tagging the whole site for "permit review" for a week or two...

#43961 10/27/04 07:39 PM
S
I'm not sure about other states, but in South Carolina your license number is available online at the state web site. Just type in a name and the site will display all licenses held by the individual and the level of the license. http://lookup.llronline.com/Lookup/Contractors.asp

[This message has been edited by SteveMc (edited 10-27-2004).]

#43962 10/29/04 06:09 PM
D
Dave55 Offline OP
I haven't heard anything back from this guy. I increased my bid 20% since this guy is squirrely. He's either getting someone else, or we're in another 2 week space. It may have made enough of an impact on the building dept. that they'll call to confirm the contractors on permits before they issue them.

Dave

Link Copied to Clipboard