ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#43857 10/23/04 12:19 AM
B
While working yesterday (Thursday) at the meat processing plant at which I am employed, I walked into our mechanic's room and noticed an extension cord on the floor. At first (passing) glance it looked like a cord that one of my co-workers had spliced an extra female connector at the end. (So there were two female connectors at that end.)

I thought "Hmm, a Two-Fer."

The connectors looked like the white-and-black type (can't think of the brand) of connector. As I walked by it again, on my way back out onto the floor, I noticed that the "black" parts of the connectors were missing (the part that covers the terminals and has an integral cord gripper), only wrapped with black elecrtical tape!!

I thought "Whoah, glad I didn't reach down and grab that!!"

One of my other co-workers had the audacity to ask me if I left my extension cord on the floor. "Barry, did you leave this e-cord on the floor?"

"No!!!, That is DEFINITELY not my extension cord!"

Well, I had to have a look at the splice. I (unplugged it) felt the splice and thought "Hmm, don't feel any butt crimp connectors in here... too small a wrap to have wire nuts in here...let's cut the tape and see..."

What did I find? Ohh, only that the black, white and green (12-3 SO) had been stripped at the same point along the cord. The main cord and the two "pigtails" had just been twisted -lefthanded- together, and taped alongside eachother. Talk about close!!! It's a wonder they didn't short.

Next, I peeled the tape off the female connectors, only to find that one of them had the black wire on the silver screw and the white wire on the brass screw.

"Dohh!!"

Let's just say this "two-fer" is resting peacefully. Another hazard eliminated.

Have to make ethis guy up a 2x4 or 4x4 box with duplex receptacles with proper fittings, etc. Sheesh!! And he is one of my fellow "Industrial Technicians"!!

Someone who should know better, only knows enough to be dangerous!!! Probably thought he was pretty clever, too!!!

#43858 10/23/04 01:45 AM
M
Hi there B P

OSHA doesn't allow home made tap boxes like the kind that you are going to make for your co worker.
You need to purchase a made for the use product with a UL listing. Preferably one with a gfi also.

#43859 10/23/04 08:45 AM
D
I used to make cords & boxes for carpenters, but no more. There are so many inexsensive triple-tap plugs and cords with UL listings. I give them one of mine or tell them to go buy it.

Dave

#43860 10/23/04 03:44 PM
NEC 2002 Edition

ARTICLE 520 Theaters, Audience Areas of Motion Picture and Television Studios, Performance Areas, and Similar Locations

I. General

520.1 Scope.

This article covers all buildings or that part of a building or structure, indoor or outdoor, designed or used for presentation, dramatic, musical, motion picture projection, or similar purposes and to specific audience seating areas within motion picture or television studios.

520.2 Definitions.

Two-Fer. An adapter cable containing one male plug and two female cord connectors used to connect two loads to one branch circuit.

Ask the "Best Boy" on the movie set if they are available as a listed product?

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
#43861 10/23/04 05:41 PM
S
There definitely are listed twofers in Twist-Lok style--you can buy them at Home Depot. As far as Edison plugs and theatrical pin plugs, I know that you can buy them commercially, but I don't know if they're listed. The "Y" cables they are made with are very well-constructed molded assemblies that look like they could be listed.

#43862 10/23/04 09:37 PM
B
yes, Joe T., I remember raeding about two-fers in the 2002 NEC. I guess our Maintenance room is a far stretch to call it a theater. This was definitely NOT a listed two-fer!!!

Is this The only article in the NEC that allows the use of these?

#43863 10/23/04 11:31 PM
That term shows up only once in the definition above. Next time see if you can capture a picture of the work of art!

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
#43864 10/24/04 12:09 AM
B
Are the cords for the female connectors of a listed two-fer of considerable length, for appliances that are several feet apart?

As opposed to a multi-outlet strip, or surge-supressor. Would these be six-fer's?

Yes, next time I will get a pic. I have given my sister-in-law her digi camera back. Need to get my own.

I was so disgusted by this pathetic attempt at wiring that I dis-assembled it, and deep-sixed it straight-away!

#43865 10/24/04 01:30 AM
B

[Linked Image from 6l6.net]

Link Copied to Clipboard