ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
We are required to use those or simlar devices as lock outs on appliances in some jurisdictions. The breaker will still function when install as locked on.

N
That device can not be used for lockout. It does not allow for a lock to be attached. Easily removed with a dime. SqD carries a different device for lockout. The QO1LO just prevents a breaker from accidently being turned off, or on for that matter in a non maintenance situation. Unfortunately, in order to install or remove one you have to turn the adjacent breaker off and if it is unmarked your subject to making someone mad when their computer dumps. Learned from experience.
Ron

D'oh!,
I never realised that the breakers had a trip free mechanism in them over there.
Sorry guys. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

R
Not that they will trip, but "trip free" (Very important!), not all breakers will trip free, meaning that the handle can be held closed and the breaker mechinism will still trip free of the handle. Not all breakers will.
If they aren't "trip free", they must be very old. The requirement has been in 240-80 since the '68 code or before. Maybe much before that. The oldest code I have is the '71 and there is no vertical change line next to that section in the 71 code.
Don

edited to correct spelling

[This message has been edited by resqcapt19 (edited 10-21-2004).]

Don(resqcapt19)
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard