ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 571 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Speaking from experience, if the RG6 is connected to a powered multiswitch for a satelite, don't cut it live!!!... I remember one guy got it for cutting a RG-6 for a home sattilate system. I guess it burned out the dish reciever.

Not that I disagree with you guys, but it is very common to short cables in these systems. You don't have to even cut them, simply connecting or disconnecting an "F" connector can short the line and it is not usually possible to shut everything down to do it.

Any equipment that I have ever seen is protected in this respect and most good sat receivers will even indicate a problem with the LNB power such as a short in the cable.

-Hal

B
You can probably get away with it but why would you? I think an attitude that 'it's a low power circuit so I don't have to worry' will get you in trouble some day when you encounter an unexpected fault.

H
You can probably get away with it but why would you?

Because it's not as easy as flipping a breaker.

If it's unpowered there is absolutely no reason to do anything other than cut it. What are you going to do, go to where the CATV service enters the house and disconnect it? Why?

On the other hand, you know that the cable in question MAY be powered if you see a dish and sat receivers. But here again, what are you going to do- go around the house and pull all the plugs on the receivers? Would you know what a powered multi-switch is? Sure, if you knew where the cable originated you could disconnect it carefully... or kill the main breaker, that'll do it!

-Hal

B
I guess you won't be doing any communications work in my house. It sounds like you are saying you don't know or care where the ends are and you'll hack it anyway. Would you know or care that a piece of coax in my house might have 1/4 kw of RF on it?
I'd have to know what it was for sure before I go hacking.

Would you know or care that a piece of coax in my house might have 1/4 kw of RF on it?
Darned good point Jim.
That's gotta ruin your sidey's!. [Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard