ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 381 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#43583 10/19/04 06:41 AM
S
I worked alone for 15 years...then my body started to wear out.My wrists are messed up from repetitive motion and I can't tie in or plug and switch all day long anymore.So I hired a helper 3 years ago and I have him do all the work that aggrevates my wrists.I have trained him to do things my way.My profit margin has grown also.I also go to the gym now to stay in shape.Makes it easier to do daily tasks.Sucs gettin old [Linked Image]

But thats it,baby sittin one guy is enough for me.I say "Stay small,keep it all" [Linked Image]

shortcircuit

#43584 10/21/04 11:29 AM
S
This is really good stuff Gents. I sure want to thank you for taking the time to respond on how you see things. Especially those of you who have had employees and have cut back to solo and "almost" solo. Franks comment really struck a nerve with me concerning working w/his Dad. I did that also, although not electrical work, and truly enjoyed it. It is hard for me to "make" my kids enjoy this work. I guess I'm going after something that will probably never happen the way I want it to. My Dad passed away in 1979, but I still have alot of his sayings running thru my head. Anyway, it is kinda' neat knowing that even tho our bodies are starting to tell us of pains we never had before, it is good to know we are not alone in our logic for flying solo!

Thanx again,

Steve

#43585 10/21/04 10:13 PM
P
Today, one of my mechanics didn't get to the job until 1:30. No call from him, just the general contractor telling me he wasn't there and the job HAD TO BE DONE TODAY! Another mechanic had to go home early to meet the lady from "child services" checking on his daughter's home situation.The helper was supposed to go help the late guy after the second guy went home early but the helper never showed up. I put in a fourteen hour day covering for all my "help". I'm considering joining the lone wolf club!

Power to the people
#43586 10/22/04 12:13 AM
T
twh Offline
Not to sound unsympathetic, but there can be another side. Years ago, I had an apprentice who wanted a day off to attend his girl friend's graduation, in another city. When he asked, three weeks in advance, he was told "There are no days off around here". When the big day arrived, he didn't show; and, while he was awol, he took a second day. The third day, he was sent home as punishment. So, short one man for one day turned into three days.

On the fourth day, the boss told the apprentice that the labor standards act allowed him to designate holidays for employees, so he took the apprentice into the office and wrote his name on a calander for two weeks off (less three days, of course), a couple months in the future.

The conversation on the first day of the apprentice's holidays went like this:
Me: Who shall I take?
Boss: Craig, of course.
Me: He's on holidays.
Boss: Who said he could have holidays?
Me: It's on the calender.
Boss: You guys can't just write your names down for holidays.
Me: That's your handwriting.
Boss: I just meant that he could ask for those days.
Me: Get your tools.

Since then, I've always wondered how many employer's problems are self-inflicted.

#43587 10/28/04 12:51 PM
S
Looks to me that we are all victims of enjoying our jobs! It seems to all boil down to priorities. We enjoy what we do more than we would trying to supervise employees, whether the money is better or not. Electricity is predictable, people are not! It seems to be our "calling". To strap on a tool pouch and get our hands dirty and doing an honest days work for an honest days pay. 'Nuttin wrong with gettin' good @ it either!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard