ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
J
Joe Offline OP
I was going to put a hardwired baseboard heater in this cool breakfast nook, but there's not room for that AND an outlet on the available wall space. NEC says you can't put a baseboard heater below an outlet (makes sense), but I really need an outlet on that wall. No problem, my Black & Decker book says this is circumventable by using baseboard heaters with built-in outlets. Well, they're out there, but Cadet, the mfr I researched, says the optional built-in outlet has to be on a separate circuit.

WHAT? The 1kw heater itself would only use 8.3 amps, and since 12/2 WG cable was roughed in for my 110V heater circuit why wouldn't the wire be good for at least another 8 amps?? Seems like a waste of perfectly good ampacity...if that's the word I want.

So now I'm leaning towards just putting in a 20 amp receptacle and plugging in one of those compact/efficient ceramic disc heaters. Only I'd like to use a programmable thermostat... Is there any reason I couldn't make one half of the wall outlet thermostatically controlled for powering a PORTABLE space heater?

Thanks!

Joe

D
doc Offline
Joe,
I have used those little plug in heaters in my home over the years ,the problem is at 1350 watts the wire is border line over heating when you switch heater to the 1500 watt or high side then you are really heating the wire up,if you have 15 amp breakers they will kick off.Now if you have a 20 amp breaker with 12/2/w/g and a 20 amp outlet with nothing else on it then the heater will work ,but I grant you for sure if any thing gets plugged in with it the breaker will trip weather up or down line of the heater.
Either run another circuit at 20 amp breaker 12/2/w/g wire and 20 amp outlet or make sure you run that heater on low

MAY THE SUN SHINE ON YOUR FACE IN THE MORNING AND YOU AWAKE WITH A SMILE
Joe,

Wouldn't your Plug in Heater have a Built-in thermostat on it? (in it?)

I don't know of any programmable line voltage thermostats. Could you use a heavy duty plugin timer in conjunction with the thermostat on the heater?

How about a wall-type Heater/Fan for that area?

Bill

Link Copied to Clipboard