ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#43468 10/14/04 07:58 PM
S
Anyone wire log homes? I've only started to wire one many years ago. I'm sure things have changed since then. Any idea what kind of price should be allowed for the labor? I know it would depend on the size of house, etc.. I'm thinking a basic price or square footage price. I use to have to cut the holes for recptacles with a drill and wood chiesel [Linked Image]
We had to weld a piece onto an 18 inch wood bit with an extension already on it, making the bit about 3 or 4 ft. long, for the switches. I realize we have the "flexi-bits"
now, which would make it easier.
I have the prospect of getting a customer who builds log homes. Just wondering what I might be getting into, and what kind of extra
price you might would recommend. Thanks a lot. Steve...

#43469 10/15/04 07:51 AM
M
A lot depends on the type of home. If the logs are stacked directly on top of each other, or if there's space between them.
Haven't done it myself, but I have seen where ALL of the boxes had to be drilled, & chiseled into the logs.....
Either way it's some of the most frustrating wiring You can do.
A lot have the holes predrilled on both sides of doors, windows & corners, but if they're off just a little, it can make pulling wire pretty tough.
Not sure how you usually price new construction, but log homes are equal to a rewire in My book, & should be worth double ( at least ) new construction price.

#43470 10/15/04 01:02 PM
D
Try the search function of this site, sparkync. There are some very good threads on it. I read Pigs in Space (10-10-2001) & the experienced guys say "T&M". They also tell how to do the wiring & mention getting the rough in before the roof goes on (I think for vertical drilling). Good Luck!

Dave

Link Copied to Clipboard