ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
J
Jps1006 Offline OP
Good business chat last Wed. we talked about job cost tracking, which brought up discussion of programs like quickbooks and excel. We have some fairly proficient users, and lots of good ideas that float by this site.

Which reminded me today of another problem I have. Does anyone know of a good way to export Quickbooks contacts into outlook so I can sync them with my Pocket PC.

Or even a referal to a good message board (Like Ron's referal to that Excel board).

I have already done the export to comma deliniated into excel and then import into outlook and you have to go through to readjust the different fields and it gets time consuming.

Thanks

J
John

Open QB and go to Company tab, select Sync Contacts.

You can then choose whether to do a 1 or 2-way sync.

J
Jps1006 Offline OP
thanks Jim.

I can't believe the feature has been under my nose this whole time. I also can't believe how long I have been using some of this software and still just getting the hang of it. I used to think I was a quick study.

S
JP, I am asking because I do not know. Are you able to use QB on your pocket PC? Do you find it "handy"? I am using QB, but the version is '99. I was looking to get a laptop and do most of my accounting with it. Our kids have this one when I have the energy to use it. If you don't mind me asking, what works best 4 U?

Thanx,

Steve

J
Jps1006 Offline OP
I'm glad you ask Steve, it just shows me I am not alone in my never-ending journey for an effiecient system that truly doesn't cost more time than it saves.

First a couple of websites : quickbooks and lowfat if you are considering PDA.

Quickbooks and/or third party vendors have yet to come up with a comprehensive PDA companion (as far I can find). What I do find (thanks even more to Jim M) is that it is handy to have QB contacts with me. Before, I did one sync that was complex and time consuming, that got me most of my contacts over. I was in need of an update, hence this post. But that is the only feature from QB I use with my Pocket PC.

I previewed Lofat's invoicing, and I was impressed, but I wouldn't use that feature often enough to justify me purchasing. It will allow you to enter your invoice data in the field, and then sync it later.

The feature I would love is to be able to enter material purchase receipts (credit card charges) into the Pocket PC real time, catagorize and allocate, and then forget about it. Then have it sync with QB.

I too have considered a laptop. I just have a feeling the boot up time would keep me from really using it in the filed, especially when I'm in a hurry to get to the next job/appointment, which seems to be always. But I could think of many other reasons to still justify the purchase.

Then there is the tablet PC (my little brother has one). the price a laptop, quite a bit smaller (8-1/2 x 11 maybe), kind of a Pocket PC/ laptop hybred. I think QB would run on that too, and it turns on and off almost as quickly as a Pocket PC.

As far as the Pocket PC goes, I find these things handy:
Outlook sync for calender, contacts, tasks etc.
Excel sync. for other stuff.
Avantgo for driving directions (although sometimes it is quicker to just grab a scratch pad)
Advantgo for continously updated weather forcasts.

edit ubb code

[This message has been edited by Jps1006 (edited 10-08-2004).]

S
thanx 4 the reply JP. Hope we can chew on this some more. I'm off the work and will try to digest this. It always seems to take twice the time you are trying to save!

J
Just found a Quickbooks companion for thePDA that issupposed to link with QB's.

try this link http://www.handango.com/PlatformPro...4&sectionId=164&catalog=1&tx tSearch=quickbooks&topSectionId=1271

Link Copied to Clipboard