ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 200 guests, and 31 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#43164 10/06/04 08:16 PM
C
Motors and starters are one of my weak areas, so please forgive the basic nature of these questions. [Linked Image]

My dad has just purchased a new metal lathe for his home workshop. Since it has a 208 volt 3-phase motor and starter, it is not very useful right now. [Linked Image]

Anyway, we have decided to change the motor to 1 HP, 230 volt, single phase. I looked into a phase converter and buck boost transformers but changing the motor seems like the more practical way to go.

I checked the NEMA chart and it looks like I need a 00 starter (reversing, by the way.)
How do I size the heaters?

What code article should I consult to size the circuit for the lathe?

Does a twist-lock cord and plug connection serve as an adequate disconnect? I don't intend to hard wire the lathe.

Peter [Linked Image]

Peter
#43165 10/06/04 09:26 PM
E
e57 Offline
Dare I say it, you may want to re-thing the phase convertor. If you have a shop with a lathe, whats to say the next time you go out tool shopping you don't come home with another 3-phase item. For the cost of a decent size rotory convertor will negate the cost of trying to re-work this machine, and the next one. And use the convertor for both, not at the same time of course. But you may find that rebirthing this machine as single phase may not be all its cracked up to be mechanically. The relays in the unit now may work, just find the manufatures chart for the voltage and horse power, and get the new heaters for it, you might not have to change them at all. The reversing of a single phase motor may be a little tricky. Still a convertor around the shop is a good thing......

http://www.phaseconverter.com/

http://www.americanrotary.com/html/rotary_converters.html

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 10-06-2004).]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#43166 10/07/04 09:45 PM
N
Hey CT,
Are you close to wisconsin? I have a rotary converter that will be available if my customer decides he doesn't want it. It's rated 11/2 hp max and 5 total. Retail is $650.00. I'm would like to get $200.00. May be listing on ebay soon. It is used.
ron

#43167 10/07/04 10:57 PM
J
Circuit sizing, etc., are covered in the "motors" section of the NEC (430). Heaters are sized based upon the motor nameplate (as are fuses), but the NEC tables are used for conductor sizing. Motor and fuse sizes are later adjusted for the application; typically, the fuse is increased (nuisanse tripping) while the heaters are down-sized (more precise protection).

A cord & plug are typically not listed for disconnection under load. You will need a disconnect on the wall; there are disconnects with receptacles built in, so connection by plug & cord is possible.

Starting at 1hp, and certainly by 3hp., the advantages of three-phase are evident. They cost much less to run, draw fewer amps, and the motors cost much less.
One alternative to phase converters is to use a variable frequency drive. These drives essentially create three phase from single phase.

#43168 10/08/04 08:27 AM
another link to 1-3 phase convertors for our Australian & NZ members is http://www.phasechanger.com/

[This message has been edited by 32VAC (edited 10-08-2004).]

#43169 10/08/04 10:30 AM
Motor Circuit Rules

The values given in Table 430.147, Table 430.148, Table 430.149, and Table 430.150, including notes, shall be used to determine the ampacity of conductors or ampere ratings of switches, branch-circuit short-circuit and ground-fault protection, instead of the actual current rating marked on the motor nameplate.

Fuses are considered as: "branch-circuit short-circuit and ground-fault protection"

"Separate motor overload protection shall be based on the motor nameplate current rating."

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

Link Copied to Clipboard