ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#43115 10/05/04 06:05 PM
K
Kelley Offline OP
Hi guys , customer would like me to spec out some electric floor heat for an upcoming remodeling of there kitchen. Any manufacturers that you have had good luck with? The last time I installed any we used easy heat but there was nithing easy about it.. it was the single wire system that you roll out. I think and have heard that a mat sytem that is custom to your project is th way to go. Any ideas would be a big help

Thanks
Kelley

#43116 10/05/04 06:37 PM
D
I know a guy that has put in a few floor heating systems, but they are hot water rather than electric. I'd get more information for you, except then you might loose the job!

Dave

#43117 10/05/04 06:50 PM
E
e57 Offline
Welcome to the forum, stick around and get to know all the characters.......... [Linked Image]

Anyway, I usually avoid spec'ing these items, as most are not very good. I have yet to come across one that "heats", rather than "warming the floor" for the bare foot crowd. Even then most don't do a great job at that either. It seems, and rightfully so, that the manufactures of these things are afraid of crossing the "warm floor" to "heating the room via the floor" as the wattage would be too high to have under most floor types. Imagine what it would take to heat a room through a hardwood floor, then imagine that floor bursting into flames! Or, a short in a mildly conductive floor, like some types of tile, stone or concrete.

Anyway, my advise for spec'ing one, is not to.

How-ever, our plumbing friends have mastered this floor "heat" deal, the plumber will need some electrical for the system, so it's not a total loss to pass it to them. kickback?

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#43118 10/05/04 06:51 PM
H
... hot water rather than electric. I'd get more information for you, except then you might loose the job!

While being low in cost to install, using electric for any kind of heat in most locations is the most expensive way to go. Once the customer is aware of what they will be paying year after year hydronic will look like a good deal.

-Hal

#43119 10/05/04 07:38 PM
K
Kelley Offline OP
thanks for the replies, warming the floor was the word i should have used and he is aware of the cost to "heat" with electric, he has a forced hot air system so h20 is out. you are right i shouldnt spec for him but he is my brother in law on thr missus side so i have to help were i can if you now what i mean [Linked Image]

#43120 10/05/04 10:09 PM
S
Try www.nuheat.com, they specialize in mats.

I prefer the easy heat myself. Works better with oddshaped rooms and with the individual wire, you can shape it to cover every nook and cranny. Easyheat sells the mats too. www.easyheat.com

#43121 10/06/04 05:23 PM
E
Don't let these guys scare you. Nuheat is the way to go. It is easy to install, the customer service is excellent, and you can make some money selling it to the customer. I used it in my own house and try to sell it whenever I can.

#43122 10/06/04 07:27 PM
J
I used flex therm in my bath redo. went in easily, works well, and didn't seem to make much of a difference in my elec. bill. The tile installer said it was very easy to deal with also. Since I used mine I believe they have come out with a version without a return, you just have to run it out not back up to the Therm. Good luck.

#43123 10/06/04 08:26 PM
T
hey kelly new heat is the way to go they will custom make matts for whatever you need. If you need more info e-mail me at bone430@yahoo.com I deal with a rep

#43124 10/10/04 08:39 AM
P
Just make sure you are there when the floor guys are there to install the flooring. I've had two jobs where my mats were installed and tested before the tile was put down and then after the tiles and mortar were set the mats had shorts in them. That turns into an expensive nightmare for everybody!!!!

Power to the people
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard