ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 267 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
royta Offline OP
Do they make such a thing? The NEMA L5-30P is pretty big.

If not, how does one use these plugs as a permanent installation in a wet location?

E
e57 Offline
They do make such a thing, however most supply houses don't carry them as common stock. Ask for a Bell, Red Dot or Intermatic catalog and they do have some larger ones, that you can order. The common stocked ones are pretty shallow. Some are also made for a special slanted box, simular to a pin and sleeve connector type box.
http://www.hubbellcatalog.com/raco/RACO_datasheet.asp?PN=5784%2D0&FAM=BellWeatherproof&P=7630,7645,5640,5527

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 10-05-2004).]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
R
royta Offline OP
Thanks Mark.

O

B

royta — If it’s a surface-mount installation, an “all in one” outdoor can, L5-30R receptacle and deep enough in-use cover may be available from Midwest Electric. A model U023 {or maybe U013} ordered as modified with an L5-30R may have reasonable price and delivery and make a ‘sanitary’ installation. It may be worth a phone call or email to them.

www.midwestelectric.com/marketing/literature/general/MEPC2004A_60-124.pdf

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 10-05-2004).]

B

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 10-05-2004).]

R
royta Offline OP
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

From the customer's information, and the previous EC's suggestion, I thought the customer's 120V spa needed to have a 30A circuit. After looking at it this evening, the 2 speed pump isn't dropping into low speed when the heater kicks on. So instead of the spa pulling 14A with the heater on, it's pulling 22A. Heater is 1.5 kW. Pump pulls 2.9A in low, and 11A in high.

I told him the spa would benefit from a dedicated 20A circuit and recep, but he'd need to have the spa repaired. As it is now, it's on a GP 15A circuit. I told the customer he should be glad the previous EC didn't have time to install a 30A circuit for his spa.

[This message has been edited by royta (edited 10-05-2004).]

E
e57 Offline
Now reguardless of the plug and cover,what does the name-plate of this item say? That should be the basis of change on the plug, cover, breaker, or circuit for it.

Mark Heller
R
royta Offline OP
I didn't see a plate that covered the spa as a whole. There were plates for the heater and pump motor seperately. The combined load of the heater and pump motor, on low speed, is 14A. If it were designed to run on a higher amperage circuit, I think it would have a twist lock on the cord, instead of a standard 15A.

*edit - not necessarily a twist lock, but certainly something more than the standard 15A GFCI plug that is there from the factory.

[This message has been edited by royta (edited 10-06-2004).]

E
e57 Offline
If this was shipped from the factory with a 15 GFCI cord cap, something else may be awry. This may have been a convertable unit. Meaning it could/should be re-wired in the field for the available voltage/amperage. Either on the control box inside, or inside it it should have a wiring diagram. That would either show the unit data, or if convertable, the diagram to change it, and both sets of data. Assuming this is a newer unit. Many these days are convertable, even if shipped as one model number with a certain voltage and amperage, it may be the same as a different model number with a different set of data, but the same unit. The factor just throws a different cord cap in the box, and leaves you to sort it out. If the name plate data is not available, I would suggest calling the rep for the manufacturer before connecting it. There may be a jumper or two to move allowing this to operate at the correct amperage, for the cord cap supplied. Not finding out the full picture could result in damage to the unit, or worse.

Mark Heller
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard