ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
If the unit is fairly new, odds are that it isn't broken, it just needs to have the jumpers moved around (and what ever else the instructions say for the conversion). If the unit has some time on it, I still wouldn't rule out the fact that it needs to be converted, but I suppose a relay could've gone bad as well. But without any name plate info, instructions or schematic, this could prove tricky.

Also, this "previous EC" could have done some tinkering too.

Good luck

R
royta Offline OP
Sorry about not making all of the facts available. This is an older unit which worked just fine with the factory 15A GFCI cord cap. However, the general purpose 15A circuit the spa was using, would occastionally trip. This is understandable as the unit should pull 14A just by itself with the heater on and the pump motor in low speed. Throw another load on that circuit and trip goes the breaker. Then about three weeks ago, the pump motor was replaced because it apparently failed. I guess the old motor was making buzzing sounds and other encouraging noises. With the new motor, the amp readings are as I have indicated above. 25A measured at the breaker for a micro second, drops down to 11A for a second or two, then jumps up to 21A to 22A.

The following chain of events is just my guess, but here it goes anyway. The 25A burst is the pump motor spinning up. Then it drops down to 11A, which is the normal current draw of the pump motor in high speed. Then the heater kicks on, but the pump motor doesn't drop into low speed. So now, instead of a normal 14A draw, it is now pulling 21A to 22A.

I told the HO that with a schematic, I could have it troubleshot in no time, but alas, we dont' have one. I'm not sure how much time he wants me to spend working on a spa problem that essentially is the responsibilty of the tech who replaced the motor. I believe all the earlier EC did, was take some amp readings and tell the HO the unit needed a 30A circuit, new recep and cord cap. Perhaps the spa can in fact be converted to a higher amp draw. Or perhaps even a 240V circuit. I'm going there tomorrow evening to run the conduit to the panel for a new circuit, so maybe I'll be able to look at the spa.

*edited - I'll have to look closer at the replacement motor and make sure it is capable of two speeds. The original one was. I'm really not sure what to do if the replacement motor is not. I guess I would need to replace the SJ cord with 10-2 w/ ground, AND verify the wiring in the box in the spa is capable of a 30A circuit. Better yet, can these plug in type spas be converted to a 240V circuit?

[This message has been edited by royta (edited 10-07-2004).]

R
royta Offline OP
If for some reason a 30A circuit and recep needed to be installed, I guess I'd be limited to a 30A GFCI breaker. Or do they make a 30A GFCI recep?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard