ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#42993 09/30/04 11:59 PM
E
Edward Offline OP
A built in microwave if draws more than 50% of the circuit breakers rating then that circuit should not have other loads on it.

If this statment is true would you please find a code reference that would back-up my statement.

I know this rule applies to window A/C units but can not find a NEC section that applies to kitchen appliances such as a built-in microwave.

Thanks a bunch
Edward

Thanks
Edward
S
210.3(2)

E
Edward Offline OP
Thank you for the reply.

Edward

Thanks
Edward
C
Is the micro a built in if not it is not fastened in place. I think 210.23 (A) (1) may be applicable

(1) Cord-and-Plug-Connected Equipment. The rating of any one cord-and-plug-connected utilization equipment shall not exceed 80 percent of the branch-circuit ampere rating.
Manufactures generally do not install 15 A cord connectors for utilization equipment which operates in excess of 12 A., 16 A for a 20A cord connector etc.(80%)

(2) Utilization Equipment Fastened in Place, addresses specifically that equipment which is fastened in place, such as built in units. It's intent as I read it is to limit that equipments load to not more than 50% of the branch circuit capacity if other cord connected equipment may use the same branch circuit. Most BI Micros will require a individual Branch circuit and the receptacle that is installed in such cases should be a single contact device.

Hope that helps

Charlie

[This message has been edited by cpal (edited 10-01-2004).]

Link Copied to Clipboard