ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 565 guests, and 35 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Paul, your a tad closer
[Linked Image]

Sorry Guys, I wasn't watchin' ..
I hope this is a good example. And Paul.
maybe you could tell us the differencebetween these types?

[Linked Image]

Bill

Bill
Joe had the original...but here's a copy:

[Linked Image from kellyelectric.electrical-contractor.net]

Hope the image tag works this time... [Linked Image]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
D
hehehe....OOPS, sorry Paul. You speak enough "American" electrical, that I almost forgot you're not over here.

You wouldn't have a Grainger's catalog handy would you? Or, www.grainger.com, maybe. The Pushmatic circuit breaker is an almost obsolete circuit breaker here, and its case is cubed shaped.

I definitely need to learn how to post pictures here!

D
Re: the pictures;

Thanks Bill, for posting them.
The "type B single poles" look familiar enough. Along the lines of a DIN rail mounted CB in industrial machine control panels over here. The other two reminds me of x-10 modules. (They are powerline controllers that use a frequency signal for a switching signal, so that you can turn on or off a device from a remote location, as long as the device is on the same power system.)

In the picture, are those mounting screws in the corners, or adjustable trim pots in the lower pics?

P
pauluk Offline OP
Thanks for the pics. Bill.

The breakers shown are typical of those used in modular "consumer units" since the 1980s. These are the MK brand, one of our most well-known manufacturers.

The top pic is a standard single-pole MCB (Miniature Circuit Breaker). "Type B" refers to the time/tripping characteristic and is the category most often used for residential. Type A MCBs are more sensitive, and types C and D are often used in commercial applications where there are motor start-up surges etc.

Next down is the RCD (Residual Current Device) - Our equivalent of the GFCI. The most common sensitivities these days are 30mA or 100mA. The lower 16 or 32A types may be used to protect a single circuit. The higher 80 or 100A versions are used where a "whole-house" GFI is needed because of the grounding arrangements.

Bottom pic. is a simple double-pole switch which can be fitted into the modular case as a main switch for cases where a main GFI is not required.

Bill: Can you post the picture on the top left of the same page? This shows a typical residential panel fully assembled.

P
pauluk Offline OP
Originally posted by Dallas:

In the picture, are those mounting screws in the corners, or adjustable trim pots in the lower pics?

These newer modular types use the DIN rail. Another aspect of the increasing "Europeanization" of British fittings.

The screws are for connection to the circuit conductors and busbars.

Dallas:
See, I'm bilingual. I speak British & American! People here keep telling me off for talking about gasoline and the trunk of my car. ("Petrol" & "boot" here.)

D
Originally posted by pauluk:
These newer modular types use the DIN rail. Another aspect of the increasing "Europeanization" of British fittings.

The screws are for connection to the circuit conductors and busbars.

Dallas:
See, I'm bilingual. I speak British & American! People here keep telling me off for talking about gasoline and the trunk of my car. ("Petrol" & "boot" here.)

Hehehe... you need to come on back over more often, then!

P
pauluk Offline OP
Originally posted by Dallas:
Hehehe... you need to come on back over more often, then!

As you all may have gathered by now, I'm very pro-America.

I'd love to come back permanently. I'd be on the next plane out if it wasn't for all the INS red-tape.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard