ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 279 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
The Dodge/Freightliner/Mercedes Sprinter is becoming very poular around here. We take delivery of our first 1 next week. They are suposed to get about 24 MPG(deisel). You can completely stand up in the back and with proper shelving we think it's going to make a great service truck. Does anybody here or the company they work for own 1? If so, what are your likes and dislikes? Any tips? We are going to get the power ladder rack.
http://www.dodge.com/sprinter/index.html?context=sprinter-photos&type=left

E
e57 Offline
Buddie wants one.... Wanted one before they came out, rants about them all the time, still doesn't own one and would have no place to park it either. But he makes them sound fantastic! I almost want one too.

I like to here from someone who has one too.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Sure looks like an ambulance without lights to me.

What's the difference??
...S

S
I WANT ONE!
They are way cool.

Speedy Petey

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
E
electure, well to start most ambulances are just conversion vans. They have gasoline engines and will need a complete overhaul at a little over 100,000 miles. These have diesel engines and don't need major service until 300,000 miles and only need oil changes and minor service every 10K instead 3-5k like most gas vehicles. These also get about 2 1/2 times the MPG of a gas van. The biggest feature we like is almost straight sides and ability to stand up inside. And it will fit in a customers driveway, unlike our box truck.

T
Would be nice to have one of those!

I have an ancient Ford Econoline from the '60s that is running on borrowed time. On a good day 3 of the cylinders will work and it will start without backfiring.

Other than that, there is major rust (holes in the sides and floor, among other things), the tires are bald, the clutch slips, the synchromeshes are nearly gone, repairs to the engine have been made with duct tape and glue, the parking brake is non functional, the engine burns oil and smokes, cellophane covers the chicken wire on the back windows and everything in the van is worn out from 40 years of hard use and lack of maintainance.

But it works and it was $25!

When the van dies I want a Sprinter.

N
The way you describe that van, if you pulled up to my home looking like that , the next move you'd be making is leaving. the way your vehicles look reflects yourwork in my eyes, a clean van means the person takes the time out to do things nice!!

F
A fellow electrical contractor in my area has a Sprinter. He loves it. It does look real handy and easy to work out of. We give him a lot of ribbing about driving the "short bus" but he's a great guy and one of the best electricians around. He's also known for running a tight ship and I'm sure he's done the research on the cost effectiveness of putting it into service. They are supposed to be virtually maintenance free for 100,00 miles.

T
twh Offline
NJ Wireman:
I couldn't disagree more. If I work for a contractor who puts me in a lousy truck, it doesn't make me a poor electrician; and, I've seen lots of low quality work done out of new trucks. What a new truck does mean is that the customer is paying top dollar for the work, whatever the quality.

L
LK Offline
NJ Wireman:
You are correct, I can't tell you how many customers have called and said, I noticed your truck at the post office, or the gas station and the reason i called you is, the electrician we called came in a beat up old truck and my husband din't want him in the house.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard