ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 473 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#42569 09/23/04 08:16 PM
Broom Pusher and
When touching a Lamp causes the Lamp to start, yet it sits idle until someone touches it (or something with a fair amount of Capacitance which may or may not be "Grounded" touches it), then it's likely to be a Grounding issue.
It may be a few other things - such as incorrect wiring at the Ballast, incorrect Lamp / Ballast matchup, poor terminations at the Lamp Holder(s), or simply a "no-brainer" like incorrect supply Voltage or bad Lamps.

The "Touch To Start" Lamp deal is from the draining of the field which developes around the Lamp prior to a fat Plasma being established (at the time of initial ionization, when the highest Voltage is impressed across the Lamp).
With Rapid Start (Hot Cathode Operation) Ballasts, the Cathodes (at the ends of the Lamp) should be glowing a dull Orange color.
On Instant Start systems, the Lamps just wait for the Field to be reduced, then they kick into gear.

At times, one may feel a snappy, popping burst - similar to an Electro-Static Discharge ("Carpet Shock"), when touching the Lamp, or Metal Reflector. This happens infrequently, but does get your attention when it occurs!

The Grounded Reflector assists in draining the ESD field, which surrounds the Lamp during the Starting sequences.
When "Other Than Grounded Items / Equipment / Beings / Etc." make contact and cause the Lamp(s) to start, they are allowing the field to be reduced enough for what is needed by the Lamp(s) to get themselves in gear.

I know it sounds kind of silly, but it happens.

Mystery now solved [Linked Image]

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#42570 09/23/04 08:47 PM
N
I know our company policy is bulbs get changed first, if its not that it gets a new ballast, no wasting time playing around with the old one, just swap it out. this is of course once we check voltage first!

#42571 09/23/04 08:59 PM
E
Thanks for the reply's. It looks like we all have the same experience, but no 1 answer.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard