ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
Sandro Offline OP
http://money.cnn.com/2004/09/17/news/midcaps/kryptonite/index.htm?cnn=yes

Do a google search, there are videos that show how its done in less than 30 seconds!

J
Lets just say that there is a very easy way to open those and any lock up for that matter.
Locks are for honest people.

E
e57 Offline
I have tried it.... It's a lot harder than the video I saw looks, as I (after reading this) have tried several times with no success yet, to open any of my four locks. Hope this becomes more urban legend than fact.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
W
I did it with my own bike lock. Kind of scary.

But then I tried it again with my lock sitting on the holder in the bike, with a new pen. Couldn't get it to work.

In ideal conditions, with a pen that has been used on that particular lock previously, the process takes only a few seconds.

With a new pen, and a bad orientation, the process takes much longer.

I've noticed that the pen takes marks that make it look like a key. I can only surmise that the pins are actually cutting into the plastic of the pen, right to the depth that unlocks them. The net result is that the pen body becomes a good key. This wouldn't be helpful to a thief....

-Jon

M
I do some locksmithing work in my job and own a lock pick similar to this:
http://216.65.89.40/images/picks/tpxa-7small.jpg

It works similar to the pen but easier. You insert it into the lock, the "sliding fingers" each press down on one pin around the lock. You basically try to turn the lock while wiggling this thing and each pin is slowly moved into the correct position where it stops moving until all the other pins get lined up too.

Then you turn a locking wheel and it locks the fingers so it now works like a key and can be removed and used again later.

You can even put the pick into a special key cutting machine and make a real key for the lock.

M
2 days before I saw this thread, my 15 year old son came to me and said 'Hey dad, watch this';

He then took a homemade tool made from the tin from a soda can, and easily opened a combination lock.

He took the tin and shaped it into 3/4 of a cylinder, about 1/2" long, with two flaps for handles. He wrapped it around the part of the u-shaft on the end that engages the locking mechanism.

Slide it down inside, and simply rotate it, and the lock opens instantly.

R
Monolith - Kids are amazing. I should know. I'm only 31 and remember quite well what I could do with enough time on my hands. Unfortunately, I didn't clue my father in on the stuff I was doing. That's because I was up to no good. Be happy your son showed you what he's up to. This way you know he's not doing this kind of thing with bad intentions.

Link Copied to Clipboard