ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#42028 09/15/04 03:32 PM
V
velect Offline OP
What kind of clearance must a power company have with their primary lines to a residential roof?

Also what height must they maintain off the ground with primary power?

#42029 09/15/04 04:09 PM
velect,
It depends on the voltage, the type of wire involved (Insulated vs Un-insulated) and also the type of roof.
Sag under high temperatures also comes into the calculation.
Also, it depends upon whether the area (roof) can be stood on or not.
Not that it will be much help NZECP34 gives Bare wires of -650V - 3.7metres above the peak of the roof.
+650V - 5.0mtrs. Sorry I can't be of more help.

#42030 09/15/04 04:38 PM
Velect, Trumpy's absolutely correct. You need a lot more information to answer that question. Exactly what is the problem that is prompting this question? Have you contacted the serving electric utility? I am assuming these are electric utility wires and the NESC covers the installation.

You actually need the location in the span, the length of the span, the attachment heights at both poles, the low point of the sag, and the temperature when measured just to calculate the blowout and maximum sag under hot weather loading or winter ice (whichever is worse).

If the wires are actually over the house, all the same information is needed as well as the height of the roof where the wires pass over, the type of roof so to ascertain whether it is accessible by pedestrians (by the NESC rules, forget the definition of accessible in the NEC for this application).

Trumpy did a good job of answering your question but you really need the services of the serving electric utility's trained engineer who is familiar with the NESC or his company's standards since they are based on the NESC and will either meet or exceed the Code. [Linked Image]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis, Utility Power Guy

Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis Utility Power Guy
#42031 09/15/04 09:20 PM
V
velect Offline OP
Wires are uninsulated.....7200 volt.
Eave of the roof is 11 feet from one of the phases
A local roofer was electrocuted Friday when he was moving a shingle conveyor (lifts bundles on the roof) and hit one of the phases. The house is two story with a 4/12 pitch

The three phase feeds a lumber yard a few hundred yards down the road.
Poles are approximately 200 feet apart

[This message has been edited by velect (edited 09-16-2004).]

#42032 09/16/04 08:32 AM
The standard required clearance is 7.5 feet for 12470Y/7200 volts. I don't understand why this would not be enough clearance for normal conditions. If any maintenance is to be done, it would be time to call the electric utility and have them de-energize the line or cover it. Our policy is to de-energize since people seem to think that the line is safe if it is covered (it is not, it is just safer).

I am really sorry for the fatality but you can't walk out into traffic and expect not to get hit. [Linked Image]

Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis Utility Power Guy

Link Copied to Clipboard