ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#41978 09/13/04 04:49 PM
D
Dave55 Offline OP
I've heard some of you praising Ideal's tester, and after pricing it (over $500), I'd really like to know what it's done for you. Thanks.

Dave

#41979 09/13/04 08:39 PM
D
Dave55, IMO they are very good meters. They are able to tell you a lot about a 120 receptacle. Heck if you know how to use it, they can even tell you the appearant power of a connected load, THD, IGR, GFCI, etc. They are simple to use, only one button.

The down side they will only test a 120 volt receptacle, and cost around $500. There is an availible current probe that expands its capabilities.

It is probable more of a tool for inspectors and engineers. However if you perform a lot of installs, trouble-shooting, can justify the cost, Get-R-Done, you will love it.

#41980 09/13/04 09:43 PM
E
e57 Offline
Can't check lights or appliances circuits?!?

For the money, I think there is no substitute for a good Clamp-on/Multi-meter. http://www.fluke.com/products/home.asp?SID=9&AGID=6&PID=34237
Now if they only would build in a tracer....

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#41981 09/14/04 04:26 PM
C
e57, that would be one awesome tracer. I'd buy one.

#41982 09/14/04 06:45 PM
E
e57 Offline
I brought it up to a Fluke rep at one of those free BBQ's at the supply house. They had a questionair about including Temp on all thier meters, "Would you be more likely..." If it had Temp... to buy a Fluke?

They are doing this because one of thier competitors is now including Temp on all of thiers, the whole line!

So, I told him about it, about putting a tracer on all of them. Ears percked up about it, until a few of us were hounding the guy about it.

My personal opinion about it, is that if they could make an inductive tone gennie/Multi-meter. (That pulses a small amoumt of load.) And a clamp-on meter/receiver. (That can reconize that pulsed load) You could better trace circuits without turning off the wrong one for sure. A big no-no in many situations where I need a tracer. Most tracers will pass the signal on through to everything on that phase. I don't know how many times I turn off the breaker 2 above or below, or the one across from it. With a clamp-on amp meter that can recongnize that pulse, it's a sure shot for finding it!

If they made it, with TDR, I'd buy that no problem! I have this item, but it lacks range, and certain capabilities. But still REALLY handy!http://www.psiber.com/picct50.htm

Back to topic, I was reading a ul.com article about AFCI's and GFCI testing. And it said AFCI testers are not required, and went through a whole test procedure on acceptable test methods. And, a siple $5 GFI tester does just fine, etc. (By creating a simple ground fault) But if I REALLY needed to know apparent power, with a few simple measurements with a good clamp-on, and the ease of a $10 calculator I could find out. Not to mention like I said, most of my trouble-shooting doesn't include a receptical at all. Just my opinion.... Money could be better spent.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#41983 09/14/04 07:05 PM
R
Mark and Al, we are talking separate issues here.

The Sure Test 61-156 is a Harmonics Analyzer measuring THD that will perform the additional functions mentioned by Dereck as a bonus to it's actual purpose.

I would also recommend buying the current probe to go with the meter in order to use it's full potential.

Roger

#41984 09/14/04 07:20 PM
C
Roger, if harmonics is what we are testing for then I'll stick with my Fluke 43B power quality analyzer. After seeing the damage harmonics has done in office and computer labs a $500.00 tool does not work for me.

#41985 09/14/04 07:26 PM
D
captAl, care to share this harmonic damage, perhaps open a new thread as to not hyjack the present one. I for one would really like to hear it. I am sure Roger would like to join in.

#41986 09/14/04 08:34 PM
R
CaptAL, I would be interested in what you found in these computer labs.

I have asked a question along this line before on another forum.

The subject comes up from time to time, but in my experience I have only been able to isolate two specific instances where additive Harmonics was indeed a factor in any failure of equipment.

As far as the Fluke 43B, we also own one (or did until recently when it seems someone may have stolen it, [Linked Image] ) but it is an intirely different animal (at a much larger price) than the Sure Test 61-156.

I had a brochure on my desk a while back for a power quality, graphing, logging, bring you coffee, sing happy birthday, with optional software it will lap dance, etc... meter [Linked Image] [Linked Image] in excess off $14,000.00. (we will not be buying one [Linked Image])

The bottom line is, the Sure Test 61-156 for an under $700.00 meter (with current probe) that does what it does it is a pretty good meter.

Roger

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 09-14-2004).]

Link Copied to Clipboard